Highest flow 'regular' filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes the highest flow air filter that is NOT a K&N type of filter? Seems to me I remember seeing the results of a filter test a few years ago that measured the flow (probably among other things) of a variety of regular filters. I'm guess I'm looking for the highest flow that's not an oil and gause performance type of filter.

Thanks for any help.

First thing is are you looking for a filter to use in a stock intake track or looking to replace stock air-box, etc. I was looking for a more efficient filter and for my Harley Davidson, it seems most people are looking for performance, more air flow, and I could not find a filter that works with the stock air intake that filters better than the OEM. There is some good reading on air filters, on the Home Page.

Art

I've got a 2010 Kia Forte with the 2.4 motor. It has an unusual situation. When you lift the lid on the air box you can see the filter sitting in the box. But if you look up inside the lid, there is another filter in there which is not intended to be removed or replaced. Some folks have been able to remove it without damaging the lid. Some folks with this model car don't have the second filter.

This forum over the years has succeeded in scaring me away from the K&N types of filter, although I have used them years ago. So, I'm thinking if I can find the freest flowing paper filter I'd use that since there is another filter in the lid. My other choice is to carefully remove the filter in the lid and free up the breathing that way. What would you do?

I'm thinking that the lid filter has something to do with emissions, but I don't live in one of the states that require SULEV. As I said, not all Fortes have the second filter. I should probably just remove it.

The second one is probably a safety filter, and safety filters are not very efficient. The design is only to keep towels, tools, bolts and big things out of the intake when people run the engine without a filter or actually punch holes in it with air or "tapping" out dirt.

In general, the least restrictive filters (if you aren't going the PowerCore way, or the K&N danger, are the OEM filters. I see a lot of the cheaper filters that have very restrictive paper.

I'll just stick with the OEM filter but will probably remove the filter from the lid of the airbox.

Max air flow is only at wide open throttle and high rpms. How often do you drive your Forte like that? At all other times either the engine isn't turning fast enough to pump much air, or the throttle is doing it's job of throttling the air flow.

Don't worry. Buy any air filter that is a good fit--Kia, Fram, WIX, anything. Neither you nor your engine will find any difference.

.02. I wouldn't alter a new car with a warranty. Leave it like you received it from the dealer.

In some cars that second filter (charcoal?) is supposed to capture vapors that could float back out of the intake when the car is off. At least that is what I have heard.

Bump.

Which brands typically have the highest air flow, least restrictive? What is the general consensus? Sorry I usually don't browse the "Air Filters" forum.

I've been on aftermarket air filters since the OEM was replaced at 7K. I want to experiment and try a "high flow" air filter. Are the Toyota OEM filters generally least restrictive?

Last edited:
K&N would be the highest flow, least restrictive. I think as long as you're buying the premium paper filter; you'll never, ever notice.

The filter is the LEAST restrictive part of a modern day vehicle's intake system. You will rarely see any measurable gain in CFM flow by replacing just a filter. The major bottlenecks are in the sound dampening chambers, tubing, etc, etc. Unless you are switching to a reusable filter for cost effectiveness, don't waste too much effort trying to find a high flow paper filter. In the end you will discover there isn't any perceivable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back