Higher octane to burn fuel deposits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use a quality fule injector cleaner such as RedLine, Amsoil, BG44k, Techron Concentrate, Shell V Power or Gumout Regane and be done with it. After the treatment, change your oil and continue using the fuel you have been for the last 110k miles.

Originally Posted By: djmc
'03 Ford Escape V6 110,000 miles:

I want to clean my fuel system with 'Chevron Pro Gard Fuel System Cleaner' but read on the Chevron website that you can burn off more deposits by also using a higher octane fuel during this process.
The recommended fuel for my car is octane 87, so can I use 89 or even 93 in my car?
Anybody experience with that?

djmc,

I've never heard nor read that in anyway before but the concept doesn't wash with me. I have read that burning ones gas with the gas treatment isn't really necessary because part of the cleaning process is allowing the solvent to sit/soak in. Personally I'd save your gas and just add what the manual tells you to use for your engine.

Durango

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: richter1
Why change the oil after using a fuel injector cleaner? I've heard that Techron damages bearing metals. Any truth to that?

Not accurate. Solvent carrier and the PEA detergents used in Techron and Gumout Regane are 100% safe when used as directed for all engine and fuel system parts.

i think someone said this but... Higher octane reduces the ability to burn (in short) leaving more in the chamber then a lower octane....

When i pulled the heads on my 03 DR 1500 hemi the pistons were near spotless of build up at 75,000 miles. I ran only 87 while monitoring KR with a scan gauge and af ratios with a wideband. Buddy ran a superchips map on his Hemi and it called for 93 octane. His pistons were TOTALLY covered in build up from the slower burn rate at normal driving levels. he had 40,000 on his motor at the time. Very shocking to see the difference that one octane left compared to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back