Higher octane to burn fuel deposits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'03 Ford Escape V6 110,000 miles:

I want to clean my fuel system with 'Chevron Pro Gard Fuel System Cleaner' but read on the Chevron website that you can burn off more deposits by also using a higher octane fuel during this process.
The recommended fuel for my car is octane 87, so can I use 89 or even 93 in my car?
Anybody experience with that?

Call Chevron tech folks. It sounds like their cleaner combined with the high octane fuel does something unique. Have them explain just how it would work.

The reason Chevron said that using their higher octane fuel will clean more deposits because their higher octane fuel contains more Techron fuel injector cleaner. Since you are using fuel system cleaner you don't need to pay more for higher octane fuel.

Well in that case could he just dump in two bottles of the Techron stuff? Also aren't there two grades of Techron, the heavy duty cleaning version, and then the lighter duty maintenance version. Make sure to use the right one.

You don't need higher octane gas in your car if it doesn't have problem with knocking because of heavy deposits in your engine. But you may try one full tank of premium with a bottle of fuel system cleaner, it doesn't hurt your engine only your wallet is thinner by about $2.0-$2.5.

"What octane gasoline should I use in my vehicle?

For starters, use a gasoline with the AKI recommended by your owner's manual. Using gasoline with an anti-knock rating higher than that required to prevent knock will not improve a vehicle's performance, including its power, unless the vehicle is equipped with a knock sensor. Many late model and high-performance engines fall into this category.

There are two reasons why your vehicle might knock on a gasoline with the AKI recommended by the owner's manual:

* The engine is at the upper end of the octane requirement range.
* Combustion chamber deposits in your engine are higher than usual."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I would think by running higher octane would create more deposits since your not getting a complete burn.

How so ?

Take a jar of regular, and light it.
Take a jar of premium and light it.

Show us photos of the premium that doesn't burn.

Slowly (so as not to hydrolock a piston) pouring water in the intake of a hot engine while holding the throttle open will burn off carbon deposits. I ran about a pint of cold water into the Aerosta 3.0 a few years back and when I was done the air smelled like spent firecrackers. If it will do that, should take out fuel deposits on the valves, pistons, and combustion chamber as well.

TallPaul, I'm sure that it works. Done it many time myself.

Usually fabbed up a jar with a bunch of aquarium air fititngs so the the flow started at nothing, and increased to where I was comfortable

No need for higher octane in the Escape. 4oz of MMO and go find a cadillac or mustang to pick on. Old farts in Cadillac's are the best.. not saying that I know this in paticular.

Higher octane in a simple description withstands auto igniting [pinging] better, it doesn't really burn hotter in it self.

1--There is nothing wrong with using a higher octane gasoline than your engine is built for except the damage to your wallet.
2--Water does not "burn" off carbon deposits. It either blasts them off by the impact of a water droplet or blasts them off when the water droplet explodes into steam under the heat of combustion.
3--The only time carbon deposits cause knocking in any car newer than 1986 is if (a) there is physical contact between the pistons and the deposits (some GM engines when cool), or (b) if the carbon deposits glow red hot and cause the fuel charge to ignite before the spark fires.
4--It is likely a better idea to buy the more expensive, more effective Chevron Techron Concentrate than to bother with the Chevron Techron Pro-Guard if you know your have a problem with carbon.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
2--Water does not "burn" off carbon deposits. It either blasts them off by the impact of a water droplet or blasts them off when the water droplet explodes into steam under the heat of combustion.
Yes, I should have said "will blow out carbon deposits."

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Higher octane in a simple description withstands auto igniting [pinging] better, it doesn't really burn hotter in it self.

I wish more people understood that. Octane rating is independant of burn rate and energy content.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
1--There is nothing wrong with using a higher octane gasoline than your engine is built for except the damage to your wallet.
3--The only time carbon deposits cause knocking in any car newer than 1986 is if (a) there is physical contact between the pistons and the deposits (some GM engines when cool), or (b) if the carbon deposits glow red hot and cause the fuel charge to ignite before the spark fires.
4--It is likely a better idea to buy the more expensive, more effective Chevron Techron Concentrate than to bother with the Chevron Techron Pro-Guard if you know your have a problem with carbon.

Or if you have enough deposits to raise the compression ratio. I ran into this when running AV gas exclusively in the GN.

Oil companies love making you think that you're giving your engine a treat by buying 93 octane.. it's false advertising, as simple as that. If your engine doesn't knock, then you don't need premium. Even if the Chevron high octane grades do actually contain more Techron it's an awful lot more money to get those additive levels in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: djmc
'03 Ford Escape V6 110,000 miles:

I want to clean my fuel system with 'Chevron Pro Gard Fuel System Cleaner' but read on the Chevron website that you can burn off more deposits by also using a higher octane fuel during this process.
The recommended fuel for my car is octane 87, so can I use 89 or even 93 in my car?
Anybody experience with that?

I would get the Chevron Techron rather than Pro Guard since that only contains Techron. The Techron container is more concentrated. One is for really cleaning and one for maintaining.

Why do you think you have deposits? Knocking?

Deposits can do two things, 1) increase the compression ratio since they take up space and reduce the volume 2) they stay red hot after the exhaust cycle and can ignite fuel during the intake cycle before the spark. Neither is good and either could cause knocking.

given that the higher octane fuel is less volatile, there may be a chance to allow a bit more to absorb into deposits, or at least wet deposits, helping to solve them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back