Higher capacity options for 90915-YZZF2?

Hi everyone,

Great forum, a lot of good information here. I currently drive a 2020 hybrid corolla 100+ miles a day. I'm looking to extend my oil change interval with a larger filter (preferably an oem filter) and letting a UOA determine when to change the oil.

Toyota specifies a 90915-YZZF2 filter and 0w-16 full synthetic. I will be out of warranty within the next 2 oil changes; switching up the oil wouldn't bother me.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Sounds like u want to extend to 20k interval? I'd go with a manufacturer backed 20k filter with M1 extended oil - fram ultra, mobil 1, wix xp maybe even walmart supertech 20k filter. Those hybrid engines are easy on oil but it sounds like you do mostly highway.

A larger oil filter will gain what, 4 ounces, 8 ounces ? That is inconsequential when it comes to longer oil change intervals.
Think he's talking about more debris holding capacity, not oil volume holding capacity.

I'm looking to extend my oil change interval with a larger filter (preferably an oem filter) and letting a UOA determine when to change the oil.
The Fram Ultra or Fram Titanium will have good holding capacity and also be pretty efficient over the whole use period.

Sounds like u want to extend to 20k interval? I'd go with a manufacturer backed 20k filter with M1 extended oil - fram ultra, mobil 1, wix xp maybe even walmart supertech 20k filter. Those hybrid engines are easy on oil but it sounds like you do mostly highway.
20k interval would be great. Mostly highway driving, yes, but engine shut down is allowed up to 70mph. The mileage difference between 65 and 80 is about 1-1.5 mpg, so 80mph it is... 😁 I like the wix xp filters. From filter cuts they seem well built.

How much debris is your engine producing? Have you cut open some filters in the past and found the elements clogged?

I've cut open many filters from my old high-miles vehicles and I've never really found anything of significance trapped in the pleats.

20k interval would be great. Mostly highway driving, yes, but engine shut down is allowed up to 70mph. The mileage difference between 65 and 80 is about 1-1.5 mpg, so 80mph it is... 😁 I like the wix xp filters. From filter cuts they seem well built.

It doesn't produce much debris at all.

My main goal is to extend my oci with the largest capacity filter I can fit and use a uoa to help determine when to change it and the oil.

The filters would probably last twice that much, but knowing the 4.6 phaser issues, i would play it safe with 4 or 5k

It doesn't produce much debris at all.

My main goal is to extend my oci with the largest capacity filter I can fit and use a uoa to help determine when to change it and the oil.
Then debris holding capacity is irrelevant as is the need for a filter with higher capacity. You'd be better served with a filter that has a higher filtering efficiency than the Wix XP you listed.

I would concentrate more on the oil than the filter. Run a good quality synthetic.

What kind of OCI are you looking at?

wow, that sounds like much better hybrid system than a lexus ct200h I had when I first started my career and was commuting...I think that was based on 3rd gen prius? the battery would turn off after 30 so mph, and the car was a dog, very glad I sold it. Still after 10k the oil looked brand new.

With that daily mileage, your engine is easy on oil so the better Frams could be
used for two oil changes. In fact, Honda, for example says exactly that.

My 2¢

With that daily mileage, your engine is easy on oil so the better Frams could be
used for two oil changes. In fact, Honda, for example says exactly that.

My 2¢
I never thought of that. I was going to do the opposite and leave the oil alone but just throw a filter at it until the sample says to change it.

For example, most machines I work on recommend 3k hour changes for hydraulic oil, but I change filters every 600.

Some machines you don't change the oil until it becomes degraded. The manufacturers say the oil in the machine is cleaner than what you are changing it with.

Your opinion is worth more than mine, though. I only get a penny for my thoughts.

wow, that sounds like much better hybrid system than a lexus ct200h I had when I first started my career and was commuting...I think that was based on 3rd gen prius? the battery would turn off after 30 so mph, and the car was a dog, very glad I sold it. Still after 10k the oil looked brand new.
Your ct200h is pretty much identical to my corolla. I have the prius drive train too. The biggest difference is that I like mine, lol.

If I let it run the hybrid system automatically, yes, 30 mph is about right for battery kick out, but if you turn the cruise off, you can force engine shutoff by quickly pulling your foot off the gas pedal to shut the engine off, and ease back into the throttle just until the engine starts again.

Climb a hill with the engine and you can coast for quite a long time on battery if you're careful.

Back