High Silicon Levels In UOA-causes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a UOA run by Blackstone Labs. Generally the report came out fine, i was more interesting to see if any issues had occured with the car had been driven 10-12 miles in stop-and-go traffic with the belt off the water pump.

The really only abnormality was a high silicon level, 15, as opposed to the standard of 6. They suggested changing air filters. The air filter had been changed approximately 1000 miles before the oil that was sent for analysis was put in the vehicle. I pulled the air filter, a OTC Fram, and it looked very clean, has approximately 4000 miles on it.

I stored the used oil in a sterile "urine cup" used to send samples to labs. Is it possible it picked up some silicon from that container?

darrell
sin city

Some contamination could have occured if it were windy, and you drew the sample outside of a building. Loose fitting air cleaner gasket, loose hose clamps on intake system could all contribute. Check the inside of the intake system after the air cleaner with a white glove or cloth and see how dirty it is.

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
Some contamination could have occured if it were windy, and you drew the sample outside of a building. Loose fitting air cleaner gasket, loose hose clamps on intake system could all contribute. Check the inside of the intake system after the air cleaner with a white glove or cloth and see how dirty it is.

Its actually very clean...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back