High rpm + high burn off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 1995 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC engine (H22A1) with about 80K miles.

The car creates a big smoke scene whenever I red line 1st-2nd-3rd gear. I mean big fat clouds of black smoke is an evidence of burn off oil. It doesn't burn a bit if it's a stop and go traffic with 3000-4000 rpm shifts. No top off oil needed if I did not redline the engine within the OCI.

Factory recommend 10W30 oil. What oil and oil grade do you guys recommend?

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Isn't burning oil usually blue? Doesn't black smoke usually indicate an overly rich mixture?

you speak the truth. Black smoke indicates a fuel issue.

Keep in mind that VTECs by nature tend to consume/burn some oil when you hit VTEC, not all VTEC engines, but most. Have you checked the VTEC solenoid? I know those can leak, but I'm not sure if they would cause oil burning issues as well.

Sounds like your valve seals are going. Looks like a rebuild is in your future (unforunately). The longer you wait, the worse the smoking is going to get.

My bros b18c1 GSR smokes the same way in the higher RPMs and everyone has told im the same thing (valve seals).

thanks everyone for the suggestion. So, there's no point in running heavier oil like GTX HM 10W40 with the honda engine eh.

Sure, you could give a heavier viscosity like 10W-40 a whirl -- see how it does -- it won't hurt anything (except a little lower gas mileage). Or, you might try one of the high-mileage oils like Valvoline Maxlife (they have special seal conditioners).

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Isn't burning oil usually blue? Doesn't black smoke usually indicate an overly rich mixture?

Ditto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back