High Performance Lubricants Q&A Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

This is David Ward, owner of High Performance Lubricants. After being active on BITOG for about 6 months now I wanted to open up the first of several Q&A threads. The first one will be on our HDMO motor oil product line. Our HDMO’s are very robust and are designed to achieve long drain intervals. Here is a link to our product data sheet for this series. http://www.hplubricants.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/HD-Engine-Oil-PDS.pdf. The HDMO Q&A will be answered by myself and our technical director Dr. Les Rudnick. After the initial Q&A I will digress from oils directly with an additional series in no particular order that will include Erica Enders (3X and current NHRA Pro Stock car champion) Sammy Swindell (2nd winningest sprint car driver in the world and 3X World of Outlaws Champion) The Miss Geico Off Shore boat (10X World Champions), Dawn Creten (Scarlet Bandit monster truck), Angelle Sampey (3X NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle champion and the winningest female in all of professional motorsports), and last but certainly not least “Daddy Dave” Comstock from the Discovery channel’s Street Outlaws show and the Street Outlaws No Prep Kings TV Series.

A little bit about the company. High Performance Lubricants is in Manteno IL. We operate a modest climate-controlled blending facility that is 1 acre under roof. It is a very clean facility. We primarily make Industrial, Automotive, Food Grade, and Racing lubricants. We have invested heavily in our lab to be able to have the necessary equipment for quality control as well as product development. We use high quality raw materials from very reputable suppliers to build superior quality lubricants.

High Performance Lubricants is very pleased to have Dr. Les Rudnick as our Technical Director. Les and I have worked together for the last 6 years. Together we have been able to rapidly bring new products to the market. On a personal note Les has been a tremendous mentor to me and the company overall. Here is a little information about Les.

Leslie R. Rudnick is currently a consultant working in the fields of lubricants, lubrication and working on the development of new materials. He was a Senior Scientist at the Energy Institute, at The Pennsylvania State University and has worked at several Fortune 500 companies. The author, coauthor, editor and coeditor of over 100 journal articles, book chapters and books, including Synthetic Lubricants and High-Performance Functional Fluids, Second Edition (Marcel Dekker, Inc.), Lubricant Additives: Chemistry and Applications, 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Editions of Synthetics, Mineral Oils and Bio-Based Lubricants(Taylor and Francis Books). He holds 29 US patents and is a Fellow of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, and a member of The American Chemical Society. Dr. Rudnick served on the editorial board of the Journal of Synthetic Lubrication. He holds a B. S. degree (1969) from the University of Iowa, Iowa City, and M.S. (1972) and PhD, (1975) degrees in chemistry from Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey.

We will be opening each of the threads for 5 days with the first starting July 20. Over the following 2 weeks Dr. Rudnick and myself will answer questions about the HDMO Product line. I will announce the threads from the race teams approximately each additional month thereafter. Our racing teams and friends will answer questions related to themselves or their respective sports. I can answer oil related questions related to their respective sports.

Thank you and I hope everyone will enjoy this series of Q&A

Sincerely,

David Ward

I'll start.

The PDS says "Meets or exceeds"

How do you know it meets or exceeds without engine bench testing?

Your HDMO doesn't meet CJ or CK and several of the other engine manufacturers specs for engines with SCR or DPF, is this a good thing? Why?

Hello David and friends,

Great initiative in such a constellation. These HDMOs are shown to be rated for mixed fleet / dual use gasoline / diesel. How much of a compromise are such achievements, especially regarding their viscosity index improvers (where needed) and friction modifiers and is it becoming more difficult for latest cleanliness requirements on both sides?
May this even be regarded as a niche opening up (with high VI to be had from just GTL, Estolides and the like) for machines inbetween dependant on low engine deposit formation?

Last edited:
My car requires Dexos 1 Gen.2 5W30. Do you have a product that meets this? Thank you.

In the interest of streamlining my inventory, Here is a specific question for my current needs. I have vehicles, daily driven, that need presently specifications for : One needs MS-6395,Two need VW 502/505/ two need VW 504/507. They all get a 10K mile or one year interval as of now, I don't care about licensing. Is there one product I can safely use in all these vehicles without worry? I am thinking the 5W30 504/507 would be OK for all and probably overkill for the Chrysler. Any thoughts?

Erica Enders
1595167590844.jpeg

1595167986107.jpeg

If, after say 100-200k miles, there is little or no wear, ie if there is not any semblance of excessive blow by, what difference does it really make, what the composition of your add pack is ?

It would seem that levels of such components as phosphorus, sulfur, zinc and calcium are not so crucial in many circumstances. For example, I do deliveries. There is one cold start per day. It is in a mild climate. Two hundred or so highway miles are accrued each day, ~360 days per year. My conditions are not severe.

I ask in the context of your HDMO oils vs your SP oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back