High Performance Lubricants Open House Questions for the Experts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG members! We are just a few days away from the open house at our plant in Manteno, IL and are very excited to see those that are
making the trip. For those that won't be able to make it this year, we are offering a chance for you to ask questions to the three lubricants industry experts we will have in person at our open house.

Our panelists credentials (the short version):

1. Engine oil chemistry. This person has over 50 years of formulation experience in engine oils and has worked for many of the leaders that make chemistry in our field.

2. Automotive and industrial gear. This person has worked for many leading raw material suppliers and also has experience in OEM driveline formulation

3. Additive components. This person has worked for leading suppliers of individual additive components. His experience leans towards Industrial Lubricants but also has experience with automotive lubricants.

Please post your questions to this thread and we will ask our experts during one of the panel sessions. We will post the answers here after the
open house.

Thanks and travel safe,

David Ward
High Performance Lubricants

I have a question:

@buster and I were recently having a discussion about how virgin oxidation in a VOA can be used to determine if there are esters in the base oil blend. We have a few examples, one of them being Redline, another Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. Mobil 1 0W-40 is another example, but there's some question as to how AN's may also impact this.

There were some figures tossed around, but I'm wondering if there's a rule in terms of how much ester content affects the oxidation number, and if this is relatively linear.

for example if we used some PAO/POE blends, like the following, would oxidation track as indicated?
PAO/POE/Oxidation
95/5/35
90/10/45
85/15/55
80/20/65
75/25/75
70/30/85
65/35/95
60/40/105
55/45/115

Or, does it not track linearly? Could 5% ester give you 40 on oxidation and 10% give you 60, but 20% gives you 130?

Or, does this simply not track in a way that this can be usefully figured in this manner?

I have a question:

@buster and I were recently having a discussion about how virgin oxidation in a VOA can be used to determine if there are esters in the base oil blend. We have a few examples, one of them being Redline, another Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. Mobil 1 0W-40 is another example, but there's some question as to how AN's may also impact this.

There were some figures tossed around, but I'm wondering if there's a rule in terms of how much ester content affects the oxidation number, and if this is relatively linear.

for example if we used some PAO/POE blends, like the following, would oxidation track as indicated?
PAO/POE/Oxidation
95/5/35
90/10/45
85/15/55
80/20/65
75/25/75
70/30/85
65/35/95
60/40/105
55/45/115

Or, does it not track linearly? Could 5% ester give you 40 on oxidation and 10% give you 60, but 20% gives you 130?

Or, does this simply not track in a way that this can be usefully figured in this manner?
Example:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back