High Performance Lubricants - PCMO's

Link

High Performance Lubricants now has a PCMO line.

"High Performance Lubricants' passenger car engine oil (HPL PCMO) is a high performance motor oil made with the best additive chemistry available and a blend of fully synthetic base oils. Formulated with specifically chosen esters which helps to minimize intake valve deposits, maintain a clean engine and maintain elastomer compatibility. HPL PCMO has low overall detergent levels to combat low speed pre-ignition (LPSI) making it a perfect oil for gasoline direct injected (GDI) engines and small displacement turbocharged gasoline engines. HPL PCMO is also formulated with extra antiwear and antioxidant additives to minimize wear while offering an extended oil life compared to other motor oils. Additionally, HPL PCMO contains premium viscosity index improvers (VII) to minimize shear, further extending the life of the oil. All of this has been proven on the race track, our Bad [censored] Racing oils are based off of this PCMO formulation and have been extremely successful winning multiple championships in many forms of professional motorsports."

Originally Posted by 330indy
$64.79 a quart
Are you jokin' me?

Nope.
That's $64.79 for 6 quarts.
$10.79 per quart.
Still pretty steeeeeeep.

Last edited:
Those prices are not unreasonable at all IMO. HPL, like Driven, build oils for specific applications rather than trying to cover all bases. The more esoteric brands, Driven, HPL, Redline have some unique products.

These guys are local to me, I think I'll give this oil a go in my ‘15 Yukon XL 6.2L and report back. Still debating whether to stick with 0w-20 or bump up to 0 or 5-30 for summer towing as it's now out of warranty due to time. I have about 1000 mi left until it's time to change the oil so I'll try and pick some up this week and go with a Fram Ultra filter. Would like to extend OCI out to 10K.

Originally Posted by Strjock81
These guys are local to me, I think I'll give this oil a go in my ‘15 Yukon XL 6.2L and report back. Still debating whether to stick with 0w-20 or bump up to 0 or 5-30 for summer towing as it's now out of warranty due to time. I have about 1000 mi left until it's time to change the oil so I'll try and pick some up this week and go with a Fram Ultra filter. Would like to extend OCI out to 10K.

Quality is top notch.

Originally Posted by buster
Link

High Performance Lubricants now has a PCMO line.

"High Performance Lubricants' passenger car engine oil (HPL PCMO) is a high performance motor oil made with the best additive chemistry available and a blend of fully synthetic base oils. Formulated with specifically chosen esters which helps to minimize intake valve deposits, maintain a clean engine and maintain elastomer compatibility. HPL PCMO has low overall detergent levels to combat low speed pre-ignition (LPSI) making it a perfect oil for gasoline direct injected (GDI) engines and small displacement turbocharged gasoline engines. HPL PCMO is also formulated with extra antiwear and antioxidant additives to minimize wear while offering an extended oil life compared to other motor oils. Additionally, HPL PCMO contains premium viscosity index improvers (VII) to minimize shear, further extending the life of the oil. All of this has been proven on the race track, our Bad [censored] Racing oils are based off of this PCMO formulation and have been extremely successful winning multiple championships in many forms of professional motorsports."

So, it has low Calcium and sulfur levels to have lower TBN to combat LSPI. No magnesium sulfonate to boost TBN then?

Sounds like some one may need to do a VOA on it.

I'm not sure. PCMO data sheets should be available soon. A VOA would be nice.

The guy that runs it seems pretty amenable with discussing his oils. He only held back when pressed for specifics on a race teams unique blend. I look forward to giving them a go when I work through my oil backlog.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this. I'm currently happy with Schaeffer oil but I do intend on trying this in the future.

banana2.gif

I emailed them about picking up some oil this week and got a message back last night from David Ward who said he will give me a personal tour of the plant and lab when I get there. Can't beat that!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
$64.79 a quart
Are you jokin' me?

Nope.
$10.79 per quart.
Still pretty steeeeeeep.

Small companies don't have the economies of scale that large companies do. If people want to watch all the sales and go to ChinaMart and buy their oil with coupons and rebates that's fine, but some people don't mind spending a little extra to support small businesses making ultra premium products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
$64.79 a quart
Are you jokin' me?
Nope.
$10.79 per quart.
Still pretty steeeeeeep.
Small companies don't have the economies of scale that large companies do. If people want to watch all the sales and go to ChinaMart and buy their oil with coupons and rebates that's fine, but some people don't mind spending a little extra to support small businesses making ultra premium products.

Good sales pitch. Is there any documented benefit to using this "ultra premium product" in a typical PCMO application that justifies the much higher cost?

China mart is Walmart ? does not sell much motor oil made in China … in fact my typical choice is made in my home state

I emailed them about picking up some oil this week and got a message back last night from David Ward who said he will give me a personal tour of the plant and lab when I get there. Can't beat that!

Ad banner says Kankakee but they are in Manteno. Are you from the area? KKK, Bradley or Bourbonnais? I moved here from Bourbonnais. My son is a cop in Bradley.

Originally Posted by kschachn
$64.79 a quart
Are you jokin' me?
Nope.
$10.79 per quart.
Still pretty steeeeeeep.

Good sales pitch. Is there any documented benefit to using this "ultra premium product" in a typical PCMO application that justifies the much higher cost?

Personally I don't care if there's a documented benefit or not. I like doing business with small local businesses and with that often comes a little extra cost. I enjoy the personal touch.

Originally Posted by 4WD
China mart is Walmart ? does not sell much motor oil made in China … in fact my typical choice is made in my home state

Sure they sell oil that isn't made in China but I think it's pretty well accepted that Walmart has been one of the biggest drivers of the shift to selling cheap Chinese items because all many people care about is price. They put countless small businesses out of business, they don't treat their employees the best, they squeeze their suppliers so hard that they barely have any margin left, and every one I drive past has drifts of plastic bags in the ditches and grass and trees all around it.

I don't care where you buy your oil. You don't need to justify it to me. I'm just saying I respect the decisions of others but pinching pennies to save $75 a year on vehicle maintenance isn't a top priority to me.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Ad banner says Kankakee but they are in Manteno. Are you from the area? KKK, Bradley or Bourbonnais? I moved here from Bourbonnais. My son is a cop in Bradley.

I was born at Riverside and my mom was born and raised in K3. She married my dad, a farmer, and moved out to the farm with him. So I was raised in a small town south of K3 but go there fairly frequently for stuff I can't get here in town. Well technically I go to Bradley and Bourbonnais because as you know that's where most of the shopping is located anymore. My aunt and uncle Roger and Barb lived in Bourbonnais for many many years. I bet you don't miss it much maybe other than some people. ...€

Lol how did I suspect this was going to be the type of response you'd give. Short on any technical response of course.

Personally I don't care if there's a documented benefit or not. I like doing business with small local businesses and with that often comes a little extra cost. t going to offer me a personal tour of their lab and plant because I emailed them about picking up a few gallons of lubricants. I enjoy the personal touch.
Originally Posted by 4WD

Sure they sell oil that isn't made in China but I think it's pretty well accepted that Walmart has been one of the biggest drivers of the shift to selling cheap Chinese items because all many people care about is price. They put countless small businesses out of business, they don't treat their employees the best, they squeeze their suppliers so hard that they barely have any margin left, and every one I drive past has drifts of plastic bags in the ditches and grass and trees all around it.

I don't care where you buy your oil. You don't need to justify it to me. I'm just saying I respect the decisions of others but pinching pennies to save $75 a year on vehicle maintenance isn't a top priority to me.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

I was born at Riverside and my mom was born and raised in K3. She married my dad, a farmer, and moved out to the farm with him. So I was raised in a small town south of K3 but go there fairly frequently for stuff I can't get here in town. Well technically I go to Bradley and Bourbonnais because as you know that's where most of the shopping is located anymore. My aunt and uncle Roger and Barb lived in Bourbonnais for many many years. I bet you don't miss it much maybe other than some people. ...€

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't really matter what anybody says because you're not going to buy an oil like this anyway.

For those who actually care, the benefits of this oil may not be immediately noticeable on a couple UOAs. Over time though, the lower NOACK means less carbon deposits and less oil consumption. The high amount of ester provides good cleaning power, increases the flashpoint, increases high temp protection, and helps prevent valve deposits. The high moly content greatly reduces LSPI events and reduces friction. A high HTHS ensures better wear protection and shear resistance. You're also getting this from a small business that employs Americans, supports other American businesses, sponsors the motorsports so many of us enjoy, and also sponsors the forum on which we get to debate topics like this. Buying something like Mobil 1 from Walmart adds to a multi-billionaire's profit in a company that treats their employees like scum (Walmart, that is). Supporting a small company puts food on the table of fellow Americans and supports the growth of that business in American interests and local communities.

If the dollar amount is most important to you, then this oil is probably not for you.

Back