High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner

Since the topic has come up a few times I am posting the PDS in the PCMO, Diesel, and Euro sections. This is a safe path to clean varnish and or sludge left behind by other oils. There are no solvents in this oil. It has enough ester to clean but still be safe with elastomers. Simply add a quart to the current oil and can be used for 1-2,000 miles preferably but can be run longer if needed. Changing a filter at 2,000 miles is recommended should you wish to clean further.

Engine-Cleaner.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait what? An engine flush post on BITOG without a single comment or the need to get it closed/locked? How is this possible?
HPL is a commercial entity and BITOG advertiser/supporter, but anyone can post this topic here for discussion:

Although IMHO it is not really an additive in the common usage sense, but a crankcase cleaner.

My own opinion is one would most likely drain a quart of oil from the crankcase, add this cleaner, and drive until the engine gets up to operating temperature, and then drain oil and change filter, but that's just my suggested method.

Wait what? An engine flush post on BITOG without a single comment or the need to get it closed/locked? How is this possible?
AutoRX (which was an ester formulation) wasn't badly received on here years and years ago. There's some merit to a cleaner product (I don't personally like the term "flush" because these products (this one, and AutoRX) aren't really flushes but cleaners) that leverages an ester-based lubricant formulation that provides cleaning capabilities beyond what is present in engine oil.

When we think of a flush, it's a solvent (aggressive) product you dump in, run the equipment, dump it out. That's not what you do with a cleaner/cleanser, you put it in, and let it do its work over time. This is consistent with the verbiage in the OP, despite the product being called a "flush".

And yes, flush/solvent products are generally not well received on here, you are quite right on that.

Does this product work better with certain types of oils? I recall Auto-Rx stating that their product worked best with "conventional" oils because the oil formula would not "compete" with the additive.

My own opinion is one would most likely drain a quart of oil from the crankcase, add this cleaner, and drive until the engine gets up to operating temperature, and then drain oil and change filter, but that's just my suggested method.

This oil isn't a "flush" in that sense. It's a fully formulated oil with an HDEO add pack and top treatment. It contains a lot of ester for cleaning as indicated by >100 oxidation in VOA. It's designed to substitute a quart in a new oil change for a short 2-3k mile interval with regular filter changes.

High Performance Lubricants HP SAE 30 Engine Flush Rerun - Redacted.jpg

This oil isn't a "flush" in that sense. It's a fully formulated oil with an HDEO add pack and top treatment. It contains a lot of ester for cleaning as indicated by >100 oxidation in VOA. It's designed to substitute a quart in a new oil change for a short 2-3k mile interval with regular filter changes.
Right, I never said it was a flush; I stated that I thought it was a crankcase cleaner:

MolaKule said:
Although IMHO it is not really an additive in the common usage sense, but a crankcase cleaner.
And since the word "Flush" is used by HPL itself, they may want to reconsider changing it to "Engine Cleaner" since the word "Flush" has a connotation that they might not have wanted to have conveyed.

Hopefully, I'll get out there to HPL sometime this month.

Last edited:
Since the topic has come up a few times I am posting the PDS in the PCMO, Diesel, and Euro sections. This is a safe path to clean varnish and or sludge left behind by other oils. There are no solvents in this oil. It has enough ester to clean but still be safe with elastomers. Simply add a quart to the current oil and can be used for 1-2,000 miles preferably but can be run longer if needed. Changing a filter at 2,000 miles is recommended should you wish to clean further.

View attachment 76126
Maybe I should try some on my the truck:
The sludged up valve cover was replaced already (PCV plugged up) but there was sludge laying in the head too. I put cheap Castrol GTX and a cheap filter for maybe 25-40 hours of run time (like a week) then I plan on putting m1 0w40 back in with another cheap filter and back to a Fram ultra or Wix XP after another 50 hours in case the sludge I disturbed plugs it up.

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_125552.jpg
    IMG_20211030_125552.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_20211030_135036.jpg
    IMG_20211030_135036.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_20211031_144622.jpg
    IMG_20211031_144622.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_20211031_144636.jpg
    IMG_20211031_144636.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 602
After having visited the HPL staff and facility today I can say, without reservation, they have a top tier staff, laboratory, and blending operation at their facility.

The amount of Development, Testing and Quality Control that goes into their products before blending and packaging is phenomenal.

I also have to say they are one of the most ethical companies I have visited and their products are top notch.

And they do listen to the feedback here on BITOG.

Last edited:
I've not used the HPL "Engine Cleaner", but I did use the ARX product more than a decade ago and it did a fantastic job for what I needed it to do.

Presuming the HPL Engine Cleaner is as good as all their other products (well researched; properly formulated; painstakenly crafted), I would use this HPL Cleaner in a heart beat.

The ester-based cleaners don't do things overnight. They work over an OCI. Those who have little patience (many BITOGers) for slow methodical results will probably be disappointed. Not because the product is bad (far from it), but that it won't do its magic in an afternoon.

After having visited the HPL staff and facility today I can say, without reservation, they have a top tier staff, laboratory, and blending operation at their facility.

The amount of Development, Testing and Quality Control that goes into their products before blending and packaging is phenomenal.

I also have to say they are one of the most ethical companies I have visited and their products are top notch.

And they do listen to the feedback here on BITOG.
Thank you Mola for the kind words. I appreciate the recognition for the amount of testing we do before presenting a product for use. To discover we have mutual friends in the smarts department was golden.

Thanks for visiting our plant.

David

AutoRX (which was an ester formulation) wasn't badly received on here years and years ago. There's some merit to a cleaner product (I don't personally like the term "flush" because these products (this one, and AutoRX) aren't really flushes but cleaners) that leverages an ester-based lubricant formulation that provides cleaning capabilities beyond what is present in engine oil.

When we think of a flush, it's a solvent (aggressive) product you dump in, run the equipment, dump it out. That's not what you do with a cleaner/cleanser, you put it in, and let it do its work over time. This is consistent with the verbiage in the OP, despite the product being called a "flush".

And yes, flush/solvent products are generally not well received on here, you are quite right on that.
As a rule any flush, solvent, or additive is usually not well received here. ;)

Back