High Performance Brake Pads for Honda CR-V??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Folks,

I need to replace my front pads on an '07 CRV. I'm a car camper, so I'm typically covering long distances with an extra 200-300 Lbs of gear.

I would like to get something that scrubs speed faster!

I do a lot of highway miles, with minimal city traffic driving.

I know that these priorities may be exclusionary, but I would also like to have low noise, dust and the pads be relatively friendly to the OEM rotors. My lowest priority is durability.

-------------------------------
Presently thinking about:
1. StopTech Street Brake Pads, or
2. Power Stop Z23 Evolution Sport Pads
--------------------------------

Thoughts??

What pad type(ceramic/semi-mets) & coefficient of friction(CoF...e.g. FF, GG) are you using now?
I personally don't have any particular recommendations for high perf pads but, others will. Sometimes just a simple change from ceramic to semi-metallic could help enough without incurring extra cost.

My vote is for Raybestos EHT.

My 2003 Suburban is much heavier than your CRV.. and I tow around 1500lbs.

I first tried out Semi-Metallics i was not happy at all with their performance. Mine were FF rated pads.

I switched to Raybestos EHT and i couldnt be happier, panic stops are confident and i can probably put myself near the windshield if i want to. These pads are rated GG and a hybrid of semi metallic and ceramic.

I recently put them on my Fusion as well.. quiet.. no dust and considerably better than the OEM pads that were on it..

Yea the Raybestous Hybrid pads are what I have installed on several trucks and SUVs that wanted more braking power but not the dust/noise you can get from semi-metallic.

I go with Akebono ProAct for everything these days.

When you say you want new pads that will be "friendly" to OEM rotors, does that mean you are not replacing the rotors or will be getting new OEM rotors? Rotors should be replaced or resurfaced. You can just do a "pad slap" and the brakes will be fine, but not as good as if you replaced the rotors.

I would not shoot for "high performance" brake pads. They are for track use. Or thats how I would view.

I put a set of Akebono ProACT Ceramic pads and a new set of rotors on my wife's Accord to replace the OEM pads and it was an amazing change for the better in the braking performance and dust elimination. The OEM pads never seemed to have the necessary "bite" but the Akebono's have great initial bite and just keep scrubbing away speed. They cost a little more but I'm the kind of person that the harder I push on the brake pedal, the more the vehicle slows.

I too loved the Akebono ProACT for my >4000 lb(w/load) Lexus RX however, they didn't last very long. I think it is vehicle dependent. They are a pad that I'd consider again but, for a sedan.

These Raybestos EHT that I've been hearing about lately, may be the ticket. I've always had good success with Raybestos, even the "Service Grade"(economy) and of course, the "ProGrade" too.

Last edited:
In my wife's previous MDX, akebono pads with Raybestos Advanced Tech slotted rotors were a remarkable combination that felt like you could stand the car on its nose. That identical combination was tepid, at best, on our tundra (1gen tundras were known to have undersized brake components). Assuming honda used the same engineering paramaters in the CRV brake designs, it could be a great combination. When searching for "the best", I've found that it's hard to predict one vehicle's resulting performance based on brake parts installed on a different car - and for instance with the Tundra, I ended up swapping the pads until I found something that worked better. "pay to play." I'd give either akebono or EHTs a shot.

Regarding the raybestos AT slotted rotors - the pedal feel on that MDX was amazing after the upgrade; however on the tundra I had to replace 2 of the raybestos rotors out of the box due to flaws from the factory - one had a hairline crack and one had a notable warp in it. To be fair, those came from amazon, were the last 2 in stock, and I had a feeling they may have been mishandled/dropped. On the tundra, the slots created a pedal vibration that never went away - on the MDX, they were flawless.

I have Stoptech pads on my 4Runner. Way more bite over whatever was on there previously. They are dusty tho.

I recently put Akebono pads on a 2012 Accord. IMO the fit was too tight. So I filed down the ears a bit. Maybe because akebono doesn't include hardware. A friend bought the pads for his car, so I put it together with the old slides. Disappointing they don't include hardware for the money you spend.

I used to do the same thing and this is why you need to remove the old brake hardware,
grind the rust out of the groove where the hardware sits,
lube the area & put in the new hardware and pads.
Then you'll never/shouldn't have to grind down any material on the ears.

I learned this from Eric O from SMA

Very good experience with EHTs here.

I don't think you can go wrong with Akebono's either - I have them on the back now.

I was using EBC on my rx7 with bo issues although the blue variety chewed up rotors. I've heard good stuff about Akebono

Originally Posted by Char Baby
What pad type(ceramic/semi-mets) & coefficient of friction(CoF...e.g. FF, GG) are you using now?
I personally don't have any particular recommendations for high perf pads but, others will. Sometimes just a simple change from ceramic to semi-metallic could help enough without incurring extra cost.

I believe they are stock pads, as this is a "new to me" car I can't be sure. They dust pretty heavily (likely because they were stuck in the brackets). I was thinking of keeping the OEM rotors, having them resurfaced to take the glaze off. How would I find the FF vs GG ratings--I've never heard of this before.

So, Akebono ProAct and Raybestos EHT pads--I'll look to see which I can pick up locally.

You all are QUICK, thank you!

I found this for the DOT Edge codes
http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm

Is there an easy way to determine the code, besides going to the store and asking for them?

I ended up getting the Raybestos Element 3, which are the "Hybrid Technology" pads--they'll be here Friday as I couldn't find them locally.

Thank you for the DOT education, that was my guide for selection. Those pads are GG rated, while the Akebono pads were FF rated.

Several of the REAR Pads are GG rated, but I was only able to find 1 other set of FRONT pads that were GG's and they were from AC Delco. One pair of Bosch was FG or GF rated--I can't recall. I used Rock Auto's INFO pictures to look at the DOT Edge stamps to find my information.

Couldn't find info for the StopTech pads, unfortunately, so I moved on.

Again, thank you for the guidance and information!

--Cheers!

Are these Raybestos, the same EHT that others were mentioning?

Keep us posted on the brake feel after they're installed and driven for a bit. I prefer FF over GG but, that's just me.
To me, the FF feel more like OE pads with better initial bite. However, many here prefer the GG for better HARD(er) stopping power and maybe some better heat resistance.
Let us know how you like'em.

I also installed Powerstops from Rockauto on my car. Not a CRV but a Forester. Someone on here wrote that there are more brake pads out there than ice cream flavors at Baskin Robbins. They are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back