High Mileage Suburban - Problem areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 95 Suburban with 187K miles and it runs better today than it did when I bought it. I wasn't real happy when I bought it because it would use a quart of oil every 1500 miles and also the cap/rotor would foul every 10,000 miles.

It needed a alternator rebuild at 80K. The next maintenance wasn't until 150K when I did some PM and had the timing chain replaced as a precautionary measure and included the water pump, etc again as PM.

The oil usuage slowed to 1 quart every 3k miles at 100K and the rotor/cap issues went away. My mechnaic said that oil was getting past the O ring into the distributor causing the early failures, and that as the engine varnished up it stopped.

The transmission is original and I had the fluid changed at 100K. It runs/drives better than it did new, but at 175K I replaced the radio when the lights went out in it and some of the swith knobs on the a/c. Also the drives door handle was replaced at 150k. More of a body integrity than the running gear.

Mine is ready for the next 1857 miles and the next 10 years, although I am sure I will tire of it and get rid of it. As a southern, 4wd burb, rust is not an issue and it has always been garaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back