High Mileage Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the advice of people on this forum, I went through an ARX treatment on my 95 22RE 4x4. It has 135,000 miles and was using a qt. of oil or more in a 3,000 mile run. Someone suggested I run Castrol 10W40 High Mileage Oil. At first I used Mobil Drive Clean 10W30. It used that stuff up like crazy. So, after the ARX treatments I tried Mobil 1 Synthetic, Redline Synthetic, all 10W30's. Those really never helped either. Now, I'm using the Castrol 10W40 HM oil in the green bottle with a 3oz dose of ARX. My oil consumption has litterally vanished! My question is, can I run this oil from here on out? Is there a down side to running a high mileage oil continually? And, should I stick with the 10W40 rather than the 10W30. Southern Indiana winters usually don't bring much 0 degree weather. We'll get in the teens, but thats about it. I forgot to mention that I always use the Toyota OEM filters at an oil change. Thanks for your responses!!!! Rando

If your motor likes it and your happy keep it! The visc. seems a little high for the motor and winter but thats your decision. The quart in 3000 miles is not bad.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 6000 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82200 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Rando, It is the viscosity more then anythng else that is reduceing consuption. You could use 10W40 Chevron Supreme or Pens Long Life 15W40 and see just as much reduceing in consuption. Just off the top of my head 10W40 or 15W40 should be fine for low teens. If you wanted to get some extra margin then somethng cheap like Rotella T Synthetic $12 a gallon at Walmart is a 5W40. I am useing a 5W40 in my Camry and I live in Michigan.

I almost forgot to add that 1 quart over 3000 miles is nothing to worry about.

[ November 27, 2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

RE-JohnBrowning, You think the 40 weight is ok for the 22RE 4 cyl. engine? Thay viscosity is not too high? And you think thats making the difference more than it being a high mileage oil to help recondition seals? I like the Castrol oil but I'd try another brand if you think it would be better. I say this because I know you are knowledgeable in these engines and, I respect your advice. Thanks for responding!!! Rando

I had the same problems with my Thunderbird 4.6 SOHC. it used quite a bit of oil depending on brand. The worst was M1 10W-30 at the rate of 1 qt. every 1000 miles, Mobil DC PLUS (Synth Blend) was actually not bad.........but then I switched to Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 and WHAT A DIFFERENCE ...no more oil consumption.

quote:

Originally posted by Rando:
After the advice of people on this forum, I went through an ARX treatment on my 95 22RE 4x4. It has 135,000 miles and was using a qt. of oil or more in a 3,000 mile run. Someone suggested I run Castrol 10W40 High Mileage Oil. At first I used Mobil Drive Clean 10W30. It used that stuff up like crazy. So, after the ARX treatments I tried Mobil 1 Synthetic, Redline Synthetic, all 10W30's. Those really never helped either. Now, I'm using the Castrol 10W40 HM oil in the green bottle with a 3oz dose of ARX. My oil consumption has litterally vanished! My question is, can I run this oil from here on out? Is there a down side to running a high mileage oil continually? And, should I stick with the 10W40 rather than the 10W30. Southern Indiana winters usually don't bring much 0 degree weather. We'll get in the teens, but thats about it. I forgot to mention that I always use the Toyota OEM filters at an oil change. Thanks for your responses!!!! Rando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back