high mileage oil ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is added in these high mileage oils that regular conv.oils do not have ?? what brand oil is the best high mileage product ??
patriot.gif

Any one or more of the following:

thicker (GTX HM)
more detergent (probably most)
more zddp (Citgo Ultralife at least the SL was)
seal conditioner (most brands)

I like Maxlife. It has PAO in it and 300 ppm moly. Maxlife is not thicker (though I suspect the base oil may be thicker), but if you want thicker, just add some 10w40 to your 30 weight.

I'd say most HM oils are pretty good. Beware (well maybe it doesn't matter) the latest version of Quaker State HM has Slick 50 added.

"I'd say most HM oils are pretty good. Beware (well maybe it doesn't matter) the latest version of Quaker State HM has Slick 50 added. "
--------------------------------------------------------

It's kind of amazing that their using SLICK 50 as selling point.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Any one or more of the following:

thicker (GTX HM)
more detergent (probably most)
more zddp (Citgo Ultralife at least the SL was)
seal conditioner (most brands)

I like Maxlife. It has PAO in it and 300 ppm moly.

I'm interested in trying maxlife, but...

a) what are these seal conditioners? do they show up in VOAs?
b) I've read that maxlife is a GI/PAO blend. this seems strange to me - I thought group I oils are very prone to sludge and generally frowned upon nowadays, why mix that with a PAO? or is it the high aromatic solvent content in GI that are the "seal conditioners" in maxlife. now that would be a neat marketing trick.

Seal conditioners will not show up in a VOA, but should be a balanced formulation of chemicals to keep the seals from stiffening with age and (presumably) heat.

The MSDS indicates Group I and PAO blend (12-22% PAO). Regardless of the Group I, it performs well.

I doubt the "high aromatic solvent" is a seal conditioner.

The SLick50 is "reformulated." I wonder what's actually in it these days? Probably just an STP-like oil extender/stabilizer.

quote:

On what basis, TallPaul? Polycyclic aromatics are known elastomeric seal swell agents. The complete ellimination of PCAs in Group IV and near ellimination in Group III base oils are one of the reasons full synthetic motor oils formulated from those groups also contain esters.

By the way, does anyone know which so-called high-mileage motor oils are rated to SM/GF-4 standards?

Mobil Clean High mileage 5W-30 & 10W-30 are GF-4/API Starburst motor oils.

But both are 10 1/2 cSt oils and as Ray indicates, offhand, I can't think of a typical 12 cst high mileage oil that meets the fuel economy requirements of GF-4.

The valvoline maxlife MSDS says it contains a group I oil, but when I email them they said "Valvoline does not use group 1 oils".

Valvolines website really needs to be updated so maybe the MSDS is also outdated. I dont know what group of oil they use, and would love to find out for sure.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

On what basis, TallPaul? Polycyclic aromatics are known elastomeric seal swell agents. The complete ellimination of PCAs in Group IV and near ellimination in Group III base oils are one of the reasons full synthetic motor oils formulated from those groups also contain esters.

I knew the Group I oil was good for seals per AutoRx claim of running Group I for that purpose in the rinse cycle. But I was unaware that it would be a seal conditioner by itself (seal swell and seal conditioning are two different thing). Group I has been run in a lot of cars that ended up with seal problems, probably because of deposits from that same Group I oil. So I would expect some additives would be working in conjunction with the Group I for "seal conditioning."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back