High Mileage oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 95 Ford F150 4X4 with a 5.8L engine with over 150k miles. The pan seals/crank seal is starting to leak leaving 3 or 4 silver dollar size drips on the pavement after parking, and of course its getting worse. Is one of the high mileage oils any better than the rest at stopping leaks or are they all the same?. Better yet is there an seal swell additive on the market that will work?

That's a decent leak. I've tried the HM oils on a 4.3L Blazer with a decent rear crank seal leak, and it's really done nothing. Leak is getting worse and a good portion of the tranny/back of engine is coated with oil. At some point, it's gotta be replaced depending on how bad it is. If you search, there's plenty of people who have had success with them.

I didn't have a leak to begin with, but I switched my 4.0 Cherokee over to the Chevron high mileage and it's doing fine. I did a double AutoRx treatment first. You might want to give that a shot first.

quote:

Originally posted by CONMCK:
The pan seals/crank seal is starting to leak leaving 3 or 4 silver dollar size drips on the pavement after parking, and of course its getting worse.

Possibly gentle tightening of pan bolts may help some.

Many have cured leaks with AutoRx (provided the seal is not physically damaged), but in most if not all cases the leak gets a bit worse before better.

High Mileage oils may have a similar effect. I would guess the HM oils will take longer to clean off the crud and recondition the seal than AutoRx. Review some of the AutoRx threads in the Additives forum to get a feel for people's experiences (also a forum at AutoRx.com).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back