High mileage oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Wanted to update. After a week of driving,the leak is still there. I snapped a couple of pics with the oil pooled up. Question,would a dino or synth blend be more effective for maybe "fixing" the leak,or should I go full synth hm oil?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So it's begun to leak again after your 200mile drive where it didn't leak afterward? Have you tried calling Bar's Leaks and ask them if they can recommend a product for that particular leak location? (ask to speak to one of the technical guys, they've always been helpful the times I've called upon them). I can't recall if it's on Mobil's or Valvolines website but one of them states it could take an oci or two for the SCA's to do their trick... assuming of course the seal is even still at a point where a conditioner could have an effect. Sometimes seals are too far gone for a leak seal.

Fwiw, in my experience once a seal or gasket has started to leak it's just a crap shoot whether or not a seal conditioner is gonna work. But watta ya have to lose, right? Especially since it sounds like the repair, if needed ultimately, is gonna be a PITA.

Last edited:
Stopped into a Walmart to browse on my lunch break. Quaker State High Mileage was the cheapest,looks great on paper via pqia,so I'll probably give that one a try.

You may have to run the HM for a while to get results, if they happen. Six to eight months could tell if it's going to work or not.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
My local Walmart sell super tech full syn HM for under $16 . That pretty good , idk how good super tech is but it's cheap

It's just as good as any other D1G2 certified motor oil.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
So it's begun to leak again after your 200mile drive where it didn't leak afterward?

Yep,blew my mind! I checked that spot when we got back, totally dry. Then looked at it a few days later and it was back. I swear, like it's possessed or something haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back