High mileage oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might change my oil again this weekend with a high mileage oil since I tracked down the source of the oil leak,and give it a try to see if I have success with it. I've narrowed down my choices.

Pennzoil High Mileage (the dino version)
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage
Quaker State High Mileage (synth blend)
Castrol GTX High Mileage
Castrol Edge High Mileage

I'm leaning towards the Pennzoil dino one because I used it in my 300ZX and I loved how smooth it ran.

The QS one says "formulated to support catalytic converters and other emission equipment". The GTX one says "Phosphorus Replacement Technology to help extend the life of the emission system". What exactly does that mean add pack wise?

i would suggest valvoline maxlife over any of those.

where is the leak you found? high mileage oils wont really stop or help a leak from a physically damaged gasket or seal, they only "condition" good seals to last longer. you might want to try adding an actual leak fix or seal sweller type of product if its anything more than just seepage.

Originally Posted by firebird72
where is the leak you found?

It appears to be leaking from where the oil filter mount is attached to the engine.

Had a rear main seal leak on my Chevy 5.3 a couple of years ago. It would leave a quarter sized spot overnight. Valvoline Maxlife HM cured it within 500 miles. It hasn't leaked since.

Last edited:
i would suggest valvoline maxlife over any of those.

where is the leak you found? high mileage oils wont really stop or help a leak from a physically damaged gasket or seal, they only "condition" good seals to last longer. you might want to try adding an actual leak fix or seal sweller type of product if its anything more than just seepage.

I believe max life was the first and that's what I would use too.

I've had my best luck with Valvoline Full Syn HM and ST Full Syn HM in an 04 Dodge 1500 5.7. I tried PP full syn HM a few times in a 97 LeSabre with the 3800 V6 and it just didn't seem to perform as well for me.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

It appears to be leaking from where the oil filter mount is attached to the engine.

Is it super hard/impossible to get to? (assuming we're talking about your 300zx). If not, 4 bolts and a gasket, I'd rather just fix the leak than try to bandaid it. Also, judging by what I'm seeing online it is a paper type gasket anyways, no seal sweller in the world is going to work on that.

Originally Posted by ctechbob

Is it super hard/impossible to get to? (assuming we're talking about your 300zx). If not, 4 bolts and a gasket, I'd rather just fix the leak than try to bandaid it. Also, judging by what I'm seeing online it is a paper type gasket anyways, no seal sweller in the world is going to work on that.

That's a good point. It's important to know what the leaking gasket material is made of. Seal conditioners (plasticizers) do nothing for non rubber type gaskets. A lot of people don't know this and when the HiMi oil fails to solve the leak, they get mad and frustrated with the product, calling it "snake oil" etc...all the time not realizing they have a fibre gasket/seal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ctechbob

The leak is on the filter mount on my Accord,coming from the gasket where it connects to the block. It's definitely buried, not sure if I'd need a lift or maybe a specialized wrench to get into the tiny spaces to access the bolts. Funny thing,we went on a short road trip yesterday (200 miles) and when we got home I opened the hood to examine the leak,and no oil had leaked whatsoever.

Ohh, in that case, its just 2 o-rings that should sit behind that plate. Give the HM a try, can't hurt.

Guess that didn't really answer your question.

Any of the HM oils are going to carry the SN or SN+ rating. You can use them without worrying about cat damage as in order to carry the SN rating they have to be cat friendly in the first place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Mobil 1 HM shut down the weeping leaks on my father's Taurus almost immediately...

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Excel
high mileage oil is a lie

Perpetrated by the Deep State or the Illuminati?🤔

I'd go for Valvoline Maxlife, myself. First HM oil developed, I believe. People have had good results with it, plus, it's usually one of the lowest priced HM oils out there.

Wanted to update. After a week of driving,the leak is still there. I snapped a couple of pics with the oil pooled up. Question,would a dino or synth blend be more effective for maybe "fixing" the leak,or should I go full synth hm oil?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back