High Mileage Mazda 5-speed auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the new owner of a 2009 Mazda 6 with the 2.5 liter MZR 4-cylinder engine and 5-speed FS5A-EL automatic transmission. I bought this car for my daughter even though it has 190,000 miles, because it appears to be in immaculate condition. The previous owner furnished service records for his term of ownership (he was the second owner), since 40,000 miles, and the car has had regular oil changes with either full synthetic or syn blends of varying brands. However, it appears that the car has has only one documented trans fluid service. At 130,000 miles, the fluid, probably factory-fill from the original owner, was flushed and replaced with "Gulfpride Multi-Vehicle ATF DEX VI D."

The car runs and shifts great, but I'm wondering what to do with regard to transmission service. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

There is probably nothing wrong with the Gulf, but Maxlife is also good stuff available at a good price.

Your transmission has a drain plug, so it is easy to change the ATF with whatever you like
smile.gif

I had this same combo in my wifes Mazda 3 before it was totaled. I think its a great match.

My brother has this same engine/trans in his Mazda 3 and has over 175,000 miles on the factory fluid. I'm not that brave.

Mazda specs Mazda M-V (M5) fluid for this transmission. You can get it at the dealers but its not cheap and many times they dont stock it. I always used "Idemitsu Type M" fluid that I got off Ebay (supposedly Idemitsu is the OE supplier of Mazda M-V fluid). You will find lots of it there and its not too expensive when bought in bulk. I did a (roughly 4 qt) drain/fill every other engine oil change. .

Ford uses this same transmission in some models, but they call it FNR5. I had a Ford dealer close by and I used to use their orange bottle FNR5 fluid as well. If you have any Ford dealers close, you can go there and get that (its the exact same fluid as Mazda M-V), but they no longer support the FNR5 spec so you may find they dont stock it anymore. Ford now specs Mercon V for this transmission, after years of Ford and Mazda publishing all sorts of dramatic warnings saying the fluids are not interchangeable and not to use Mercon V in FNR5/Mazda M-V applications or everything will blow up and cause death and destruction and plagues and locusts and gnashing of teeth etc etc. Go figure.

I have read lots of forum anecdotes on various forums of people using Mercon V, Dex VI, and Maxlife atf's in this transmission long term without issue. As cheap as the Idemitsu fluid was, and easy to get, I never went that route.

My 2007 Ford Fusion takes FNR-5 but I have used M1 ATF (does not have the FNR-5 spec) for years with great shifting results, up and down.

I run Amsoil Signature Series ATF in my 2007 Mazda 6 2.3L 5 speed. I change the ATF every 30k miles. Any synthetic ATF will work just fine for your 2009 Mazda 6. I would recommend doing 2 or 3 drain and fills to make sure you get all the old fluid out (drain, fill, drive a few hundred miles, repeat)

-ttvr4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back