High Mileage Ford 5.4 - Stay Away?!

Well this may be the norm, I will say that what he outlined in option number one is exactly what happened to my 2010. Only had 106,000 mi, will maintained and no warning signs! Although from what I've read that particular failure is not necessarily at a high rate. However the timing components seem inevitable with enough miles anyways.
I just don’t know what to do. Not to sound whiney but I’ve been looking forever and this car market sucks. I simply cannot find anything under $10k. This was the first thing that looked like it hadn’t been sent through a rock bath and even then everybody literally just says it’s a piece of garbage. It’s so frustrating.

I just don’t know what to do. Not to sound whiney but I’ve been looking forever and this car market sucks. I simply cannot find anything under $10k. This was the first thing that looked like it hadn’t been sent through a rock bath and even then everybody literally just says it’s a piece of garbage. It’s so frustrating.
Well despite my experience I wouldn't swear off the truck! Good maintenance holds merit and lack of noise is a good thing. Like others have mentioned, a timing job may be in the future but I've seen some of these 5.4 3vs at 300-450k miles. My brother owns an 07 that has around the same mileage as the one your looking at. His has seen very poor maintenance but is still on the original motor with no timing work either!

I agree using a 5 or 10w30, keep ocis reasonably short, change atf and that should help. Oh and change the fuel filter, highly neglected on these trucks!

I say trust your gut, if you want the truck then go for it (if he'll take less). 🍻

I wouldn't wish a 3V on my worst enemy (and I own an '08). There's better investments out there.

If you're insistent, at least watch this. All of it

Use 5W or 10w-30 M1 (or even 10w-40HM M1) and change regularly. The engine will be 100% trouble free. Even with leaky chain tensioners. Oil will flow to the heads and no
A quality oil will not help when it’s not getting where it needs to go. Slack in the chain is not the major issue with the tensioner seal leaking. It’s the lack of oil pressure to the top end, especially on an engine with no cam bearings. Score a journal? The head needs replaced at minimum, go long enough it’s gonna need a long block due to the metal shavings.

Reactions: D60
A quality oil will not help when it’s not getting where it needs to go. Slack in the chain is not the major issue with the tensioner seal leaking. It’s the lack of oil pressure to the top end, especially on an engine with no cam bearings. Score a journal? The head needs replaced at minimum, go long enough it’s gonna need a long block due to the metal shavings.
Hence the higher viscosity requirement. The 5W-20 leaks out of the oil pump, which then produces less pressure and in an older engine, also leaks out of the timing tensioners, and the oil will not make it to the cylinder heads.

A local dealership switched these engines to synthetic 10W-30 or 10W-40 and it solved the warranty problems, 100%. Many of those engines went well into the 300K range.

Additionally, the chains wear fast with the thinner oil.

The phasers absolutely won't last on dirty oil.

I have an 04' Expedition w 5.4 2v w 197k, first Ford and love it. Over maintained by PO and me now too. Has the 4r75 tranny in it and for me has been all good except mpg's, 14mpgs around town. Tows our 27' camper very well and rides very comfortably. Only thing I would change is it has an open dif in it, ugh 3wd- why Ford? I don't really need 4wd but if it has it I want it to not be an open dif. I can fix that eventually I guess.

There's a joke....if you buy a used Ford with a 3V, just plan on buying a reman Engine for it as well.
That will probably be true for earlier years. But by 2009, many of the issues had been ironed out. All that's needed is sufficient viscosity and 5000 mile OCI's.

Hence the higher viscosity requirement. The 5W-20 leaks out of the oil pump, which then produces less pressure and in an older engine, also leaks out of the timing tensioners, and the oil will not make it to the cylinder heads.

A local dealership switched these engines to synthetic 10W-30 or 10W-40 and it solved the warranty problems, 100%. Many of those engines went well into the 300K range.

Additionally, the chains wear fast with the thinner oil.

The phasers absolutely won't last on dirty oil.
I’m assuming that you mean they either started them from their first service on 10w30 or made the repairs then switched them. Because thicker oil also will not magically work its way around a major internal leak like those tensioner seals would give.

I’m pretty sure those parts were revised multiple times with none being perfect but the oldest design being the worst. The “Ford forums official fix” is a melling high volume pump, the cast iron tensioners from a 2v engine(or MMR brand) and a new Ford oe timing set. I think most owners traded for GMs that died of AFM related issues and are now moving on to Ram trucks 🤣

I have an 07 with 66k on it and an 08 with 191k on it, both with the 5.4. The 08 have the timing set, oil pump, etc changed by fordtechmakuloco at 160k. If it's been maintained and has a clean body I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Reactions: wtd
I have an 07 with 66k on it and an 08 with 191k on it, both with the 5.4. The 08 have the timing set, oil pump, etc changed by fordtechmakuloco at 160k. If it's been maintained and has a clean body I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Brian is the man when it comes to the 5.4L three valve.

OP, go to youtube and look at fordtechmakuloco's channel and read about the potential 5.4L issues and see if you want to potentially deal with them.

My fiance's step-mom owns a 2014 Expedition with the 5.4L and it has a little over 100,000 miles and it has a rattle at startup which I'm sure has to do with the timing components.

Back