High mileage and severe service...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive an 03 4Runner with a V8 engine and 2X4 drive line. It gets a lot of dirt road driving and heavy towing with a 6K pound trailer. Much of the usual road I drive the max speed is 25mph or a bit less, often at high throttle settings just to keep moving. Recent highway mileage is 18-20mpg without the trailer and dirt road driving with the trailer is under 10mpg.

I change my Red Line 0w-30 oil every 10K miles and the Mobil 1 M1-209 filter every other change. My 4Runner is now at 13 years old and 150K miles with nothing other that routine maintenance. The level on the dipstick never moves enough to notice. The problem here is that many people have told me that I should switch to a "high mileage" oil and that Red Line is for "racing" or "high performance" vehicles and should never be used for my application and can never have the OCI extended beyond 3-5K miles.

I'm making this post because it's interesting listening to these experts that are very serious about helping me correct my way and protect me from using a "racing oil". I'm just wondering what BITOG members might have to contribute......

If you are changing your M1 every 20K, on dirt roads, I'd LOVE to see pics of your next filter change. I'm thinking of moving to M1 myself, but only for 12K FCI.

As far as what you posted about, do you have any UOAs? That might help silence your critics.

Have you ever removed the valve cover to check the condition of the top of the engine?

I would want to see that to see if your extended OCI is OK. A UOA should be done as well.

High mileage is somewhat of a gimmick. Yes, the oils are slightly different, and can have some good character. Blow ever, if you're doing fine with what you have, I wouldn't arbitrarily switch just because some people say so.

It maybe time to go 7500 on the oil and 15k on the filter since everything is
older now but I'd keep using what you're using.

thumbsup2.gif
I wouldn't mind seeing a UOA, bet it would be fine. Seems like your Redline 0w30 is a good choice, with no leaks absolutely no need for HM oil. I love how these "Street Experts" demand that you do what they think is best, based on zero knowledge.

Last edited:
I use the same stuff in my 84 Civic wagon. And yes, a UOA is coming at my next oil change. I just received my sample kit from Blackstone.

It appears that Red Line is excellent for long, hard intervals. Those that are experts on Red Line and tell me it's only for racing have never used it but they still know. Interesting.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
It maybe time to go 7500 on the oil and 15k on the filter since everything is
older now but I'd keep using what you're using.

X2. It doesn't appear what you've been doing is hurting it, so all that seems warranted is to shorten up your intervals to give the engine more cushion as it accumulates more miles.

If you're not burning or leaking, no need for it; but it won't hurt either. Personally, in those conditions, I'd spend the money on more frequent air filter changes...

redline is as much as possible a high mileage oil already. Loaded with additives and a big chunk of it's base oil is also a seal conditioner.

The air filter gets changed frequently. If in doubt I change it. Same with the cabin filter.

I'm wondering about the A/C. It gets a lot of use and has never needed any attention.

Red Line street oils are as good for road use as anything else.
Red Line uses a basestock blend that offers excellent resistance to heat and at least some of your use would seem to seriously heat the oil. Towing a heavy trailer on dirt roads at heavy throttle and low speeds would seem to be such a case.
The ester content would probably also help to keep an engine clean internally.
Anyway, you've used Red Line for years and you're obviously one to keep your vehicles as long as you can, so your experience with this oil speaks for itself.
Your Civic went how many miles on Red Line before you did the re-ring?
That alone demonstrates the suitability of this oil for street use on longish drains.

The 4Runners are one the most reliable vehicle on the market, since 2008, we have a 2003 4Runner as well but with the 4.0 V6 and we've never used it for towing, don't know if the previous owner did. The car now has over 200,000 miles using any conventional 5W-30 on the market changing it every 4,000 miles with zero oil consuption. On last 2 OCIs we've used Valv conventional and will be using Mobil Super conventional on the next change.

So if what you are doing is working, why change it!!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Red Line street oils are as good for road use as anything else.
Red Line uses a basestock blend that offers excellent resistance to heat and at least some of your use would seem to seriously heat the oil. Towing a heavy trailer on dirt roads at heavy throttle and low speeds would seem to be such a case.
The ester content would probably also help to keep an engine clean internally.
Anyway, you've used Red Line for years and you're obviously one to keep your vehicles as long as you can, so your experience with this oil speaks for itself.
Your Civic went how many miles on Red Line before you did the re-ring?
That alone demonstrates the suitability of this oil for street use on longish drains.

I rebuilt the Civic engine at 400K and only because the oil control rings lost their temper and there was visible smoke once in a while which failed if for California smog. Inside the rest of the engine was in great shape. On the day I pulled the engine the compression was at factory spec's. The spread from highest to lowest was about 5psi. The engine was on track to go a lot longer.

One other thing about this Civic. Everything still works. None of the little stuff has broken, fallen off or failed to function. Maybe 84 was the year Honda stepped up into the big league and this model was a good effort on their part.

This civic is still my daily driver for around town and the 4Runner is for the outback and towing.

I like high mileage oils in many applications. But if you're happy with Red Line, then keep using it. No one "has too" use a HM oil in an older application. It just might help with some maintenance neglect or just worn engines. I suspect though that your Red Line contains at least a good dose of ester giving it much of the advantages that HM oils have in the regards to seal elasticity and preventing leaks...

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
redline is as much as possible a high mileage oil already. Loaded with additives and a big chunk of it's base oil is also a seal conditioner.

+ infinity

which v8 is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back