High Mileage Acura TL - 2009 - 2011

Anyone here own a 4th Gen Acura TL, if so any complains or issues?

Understand all the basics, along with history of timing belt and WP, anything else I should be looking at and paying attention?

Of course transmission, fluids, service records, etc.

Are they good and reliable if maintained properly? Appreciate the help and inputs.

Owned a 2012 TL AWD. The 3.7L engine is known for significant oil consumption. Despite synthetic oil changes since new, it required engine block replacement at 60k miles. Took a class action suit. Honda stonewalled until the very end. Rear differential became noisy at 70K. All with faithful and timely fluid changes.

Own a 2013 TL FWD Advance Package, purchased with 5 miles on the ODO, now have 105,000 miles.

It has been a great car, service history: change oil every 5,000 miles, transmission fluid every 20,000 miles, new front brakes at 60,000 miles, rear brakes at 104,000 miles, filters every 12,000 miles, 3 sets of tires, 2 PCV valves, 2 batteries, changed the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, serpentine belt, valve cover gaskets and valve adjustment at 90,000 miles (9 years).

It has been perfect outside of all basic maintenance items above. It’s fast, descent MPG when driving 70MPH on the freeway, and it’s fun to drive. It’s been a good 10 years of ownership and its never left me or my family stranded. Plan to keep it until it gives out, should be many more years.

It does need new suspension, gonna look this over this week, but I would recommend a used 3.5L FWD any time.

Since 2000 honda has been in a steady decline in the quality and reliability department.
Honda is ranked #5 out of 24 car manufactures for car brand reliability in the latest Consumer Reports magazine.
The ones above Honda in order are:
Toyota
Lexus
BMW
Mazda
Honda

You can view this URL if you have a subscription to Consumer Reports:

So yes, I 100% admit Toyota/Lexus is more reliable than Honda.
But still Honda is 5 out of 24, which is still very good.

Mercedes Benz is last #24 out of 24.
I like to define new car value as a ratio of: Reliability divided by price.
In this formula, Mercedes would also be the worst new car value (Worst reliability / highest price).

Honda is ranked #5 out of 24 car manufactures for car brand reliability in the latest Consumer Reports magazine.
Toyota
Lexus
BMW
Mazda
Honda

In this formula, Mercedes would also be the worst new car value (Worst reliability / highest price).
Consumers reports recommend both LG and Samsung appliances - - ask any professional who repairs appliances and they will tell you LG and Samsung are total junk, lucky to last 5 years at best. That should tell you a little about Consumer reports.
Their car recommendations are a total joke - they are clearly influenced by $$$.

Now here are some links where Honda actually stands - I have owned many hondas, our current 2015 will be our last Honda ever.
This thing is a total parts queen! - 5 out of 25 is a total joke.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/usa-jd-power-ranks-honda-near-bottom-new-car-reliability
https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2021-us-vehicle-dependability-study-vds

I trust JD for vehicles because that is all they do - - - not TV's, Vacumes, or other junk like that.

Toyota
Lexus
BMW
Mazda
Honda

290 MILLION vehicles on the road in the US.
Consumer reports compiles its data on 300,000 vehicles. Not exactly, not even close to an accurate picture of vehicle reliability.

Back