High lead results for 99 Honda Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ran the first UOA on our 99 V6 Accord and it shows high lead results.
shocked.gif
I got the bright idea to clean the injectors and fuel system so I ran two full tanks of fuel adding Chemtool B12 fuel additive at about 2 to 3,000 into this OCI. I then read on BITOG on how LC20 and FP60 really did help clean and lubricate engines. So about 8-900 miles before the OCI I added 5 oz of LC20 to the engine.I also ran the last 2 to 3 tanks of fuel mixed at 1 oz per 5 gallons of fuel with FP60. Does the high lead content mean I have a bearing problem? Or could it be the result of using the additives? I already added 5 oz of FP60 along with new oil (Mobil 1 5w-30 EP this time).

-

1999 Honda Accord V6
92,928 miles on engine and 5,660 on Mobil 1 5w-30 (not EP) using Pureone filters.Should I do a short OCI (2-3,000 miles) and not add anymore additives until I run another analysis?

quote:

Does the high lead content mean I have a bearing problem?

Well, something put it there. You won't know until next time. I doubt anything in FP/LC has anything to do with it. Too many people use the stuff for it not to show up in their UOAs too.

Everything else is at or below normal. I imagine that you'll see this drop next UOA.

This is a Pb problem TallPaul's saga Yours is a Pb concern.

I'd say so. There's nothing to make me believe that they can be involved in the problem. You're not in alarm mode yet as you can tell if you read TallPaul's UOA (
shocked.gif
).

I'd do what Blackstone suggested (sorta) and consult Terry. For (I think) $10 he'll lead you by the hand and tell you exactly what to do to isolate and diagnose this Pb issue. You can always go nekkid and just do another OCI/UOA and see if it drops. That will sorta suggest that this is a one time oddity that will return to normal eventually and not a progressive condition.

Honda V6s get fuel dilution. It doesn't show in your UOA but fuel gets into the oil while running rich plus some incomplete combustion before the motor is warmed up and it gets burned off. If any of those additives caused this issue, it would have been the B12 getting into the oil. I believe you concern will be very short lived.

I had a high lead UOA, I also added Berryman B12 to that tank. I have used B12 before with no issues, usually once per OCI.

Since then I skipped an application and lead came down (from 42 to 23 normally 5) and added it to the next OCI. I never had any fuel dilution. I just mailed a sample and will have the results soon of the latest interval.

Was this M1 the SM or SL? If it was SM was it the 1st oil change with SM?

I didn't notice if the oil I used during that OCI was SL or SM. I am not adding the Berryman B12 during this OCI. I will continue to use the LC and FP. I will get another analysis ran when the oil has a little over 5,000 miles on it. That way the mileage on the two OCI's will be real close.

I have been using LC and FP in our 02 Accord V6 for 30,000 miles, getting good fuel economy, engine runs well, excellent UOAs with the oil. Don't think you need to be concerned about the LC and FP.

Knock off the fuel additives for the next 1-2 service intervals and the Pb level will drop down to normal.

You CAN overdo it when it comes to doping your fuel. A small # of fuel additive used regularly is far better than the once a year shock treatment approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back