High detergent dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes the highest detergent Dino oil these days?

I'm a short-haul (incomplete engine warm up) moderate to low mileage (10-12kish) light duty driver. My vehicle only demands a minimum of one oil change per year.

Based on the UOAs I'm seeing around here, I'm beginning to think that my best strategy is to primarily get whatever name-brand Dino oil happens to be on sale (at the moment QS Advanced Durability) or failing that, get the highest detergent oil I can find and change twice a year. That way I'd get two fresh shots of detergent every year to battle varnish, without overpaying for durability I can't use. The wear numbers per thousand miles traveled seems pretty comparable if the change cycle is kept in bounds.

Any names?

What's the engine? Consider PUP, it's 19.99 on Amazon and is known for high detergency and low wear numbers.

well 5w30 is posting up at 22 bucks today 5 qrt, but it has been 19.99 for maybe months. Just recieved mine today...

most oils now have high detergents. calcium is a common one.

chevron. shell qsad. supertech synthetic, havoline, are all in the same price range.

pck as you will.

High Mileage oils typically boast higher detergents. Quaker State HM is $13.47 a jug @ WalMart.

Originally Posted by The_Cams
High Mileage oils typically boast higher detergents. Quaker State HM is $13.47 a jug @ WalMart.

Huh. Didn't know that. Half the time high mileage is the same price. Engine is 3.7L Ford naturally aspirated port injected.

Typically you'd be guided towards a HDEO that carries a dual rating for diesel and petrol engines. If you're in the southwest, you probably could tolerate a 10W30 which is typically the thinnest they come these days.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Who makes the highest detergent Dino oil these days?

I'm a short-haul (incomplete engine warm up) moderate to low mileage (10-12kish) light duty driver. My vehicle only demands a minimum of one oil change per year.

Based on the UOAs I'm seeing around here, I'm beginning to think that my best strategy is to primarily get whatever name-brand Dino oil happens to be on sale (at the moment QS Advanced Durability) or failing that, get the highest detergent oil I can find and change twice a year. That way I'd get two fresh shots of detergent every year to battle varnish, without overpaying for durability I can't use. The wear numbers per thousand miles traveled seems pretty comparable if the change cycle is kept in bounds.

Any names?

QS adv durability is $2.69/qt
Havoline is $2.58/qt

Havoline ProDS is $3.38/qt.

So if it were me i would probably change the ProDS every 7500 miles, instead of the dino every 5K.

And to make it easier run a Fram XG 2X for 15K.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Detergents in oil aren't like laundry detergent. They don't "clean." They neutralize the acidic byproducts of combustion.

Uhh no, they act very similarly actually.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Detergents in oil aren't like laundry detergent. They don't "clean." They neutralize the acidic byproducts of combustion.

Chevron Oronite called and they'd like to talk to you about detergents and dispersants....‚ (Detergents, Cal-Mag, are literally referred to as "soap's")

Additionally, for your reading pleasure...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=258648

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Yup if you want a high detergent Dino go for a HDEO.

You forget that I have a short-haul-incomplete-warmup driving pattern. No way should I move from 5w-20 to 10w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back