HF Tool Cabinets and Chests - Take another look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
A tool from Sears will be replaced with something cheezier or from a worse COO.

This is true.

Last edited:
My tool boxes never made me a dime only what is in them and my skill. That being said a decent box is a must, locking draws when closed should be mandatory on big boxes. Ball bearing slides and solid construction are other things I looked for.
Anything more than that is putting money in the wrong place IMO and better spent on whats inside.

I have a few very good boxes but I wouldn't buy a big Snap On box at 0% interest for 50% off if they offered it to me. I did buy an almost new silver Matco double bay trade in from the Snap On guy for pennies on the dollar, the guy that traded it in on a massive box and rolling bench had to be like his co workers and this box didn't fit in.

Originally Posted By: LotI
30289086993_9c69fef8d1_b.jpg

That is friggin great! And true!

I own a husky 56” I think. It’s been good. I have almost filled it up so I will look at the harbor freight as a compliment when the time comes. I didn’t look at them before.

I bet in the professional world there’s probably a lot of peer pressure and bragging rights influencing the decision to spend thousands on a tool box, especially for the young guys.

I look at Snap-On and others like the AMSOIL of tools. yes, They make some pretty good stuff, but there is stuff out there that will meet or beat them at their own game. I own the HF tool boxes, and at work I use a Snap on. There are differences in each, but for the money, the HF cannot be beat. The only thing I don't care for is where its made.

Lots of good comments. Obvious which posters have actually seen what they are talking about. It's important to note as the the OP, I said - take another look. I am referring to the new Series 2. Can't speak for the earlier versions.

I love that rape van joke. Good stuff.

I upgraded boxes per necessity and I only did it when it wasn't going to become a hardship on myself. The last trade up was my favorite. I had a Snap On Americas Best which was not as deep as the other KRL boxes. It was designed to fit under a tire rack in an automotive shop or something. Anyway, the Snap On man had an 80th anniversary box on the truck for the longest time. It was an ugly color called Canyon Red which resembles Campbell's Tomato Soup and it has gold anodized trim.
He wanted like 8500 for this box. One day, he asked if I would be interested in selling my box because he had a guy that was looking hard for that exact one. I asked what was the bottom line on the ugly box. I ended up getting the new box, a pair of boots, a dvd player and a few assorted hand tools for just about nothing. He gave me a G more for the old box than I paid for it. Poor guy that bought it probably got robbed.
I don't regret having a Snap On box for a second. It's tough as nails and my son will end up with it someday.

I bought their biggest roll cart just before the series 2 came out. I have it fully loaded and then some on most days. I can not say anything bad about it. The metal seems to be about 1 gauge thinner than my co worker's blue point cart of the same size. It has just a tiny bit of flex, nothing to be concerned about.

Ok one bad thing, the fasteners they give you to assemble it are kinda cheesy.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
I look at Snap-On and others like the AMSOIL of tools. yes, They make some pretty good stuff, but there is stuff out there that will meet or beat them at their own game. I own the HF tool boxes, and at work I use a Snap on. There are differences in each, but for the money, the HF cannot be beat. The only thing I don't care for is where its made.

I don't follow your signature - drum and shovel?

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

Amsoil delivers good performance fluids for a small up charge. Snap On boxes 54" are a 5K and more up charge over a Matco 55" box of approx the same dimensions. There is no way in Hades there is that much more extra value in the SO box, the Matco is just as heavy duty and USA made, the SO is a quality box no question but its a hose job on price IMO.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I own a husky 56” I think. It’s been good. I have almost filled it up so I will look at the harbor freight as a compliment when the time comes. I didn’t look at them before.

I bet in the professional world there’s probably a lot of peer pressure and bragging rights influencing the decision to spend thousands on a tool box, especially for the young guys.

Nothing worse than a young mechanic with a $20K toolbox and tools that's barely making it .

Originally Posted By: user52165
https://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-x-22-in-double-bank-red-roller-cabinet-64133.html

Bought this + the top cabinet + the end locker. Best $1000 I ever spent. Not the $6500 for Snap On. Incredible build quality and finish. Gave my still very adequate 34 year old Craftsman to my son. Just wasn't big enough. Read the reviews.

All you doubters need to open up your minds and take a look. HF is on a mission - lots of other new lines of quality tools also.

Why are you comparing a Harbor Freight box to a Snap-on box? And what Snap-on line are you comparing it too? How many people on this board do you think are shopping for a Snap-on tool box?

You could buy a nice used MAC or Matco box for $1000 & I highly doubt the HF box is "better".

I had a MAC Maximizer triple bank for years & moved it fully loaded with 6000 pounds+ of tools in it on a trailer quite a few times.
Then you have the miles & miles of expansion joints & cracks in concrete they have to roll over.

I have seen to many cheaper boxes fail in a commercial environment, [censored] I've seen a few "Flagship" Cornwell boxes "Rack" & lean to one side.

If your going to put it in your home garage or leave it static in a shop.....Most any toolbox will do that job!

I'm a cynic when it comes to reviews of new products, It's not possible for this HF toolbox to be a "world beater" right off the boat. Get some years of hard use on a few thousand of them....Then we will talk about how good they are!!!

I'm a professional technician & don't have a toolbox at work, I have a Snap-on 3-drawer roll cart for my basic hand tools, A roll around work bench for my power tools, And a 6 foot tall Fire Cabinet for all my blow molded cases & specialty tools.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
https://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-x-22-in-double-bank-red-roller-cabinet-64133.html

Bought this + the top cabinet + the end locker. Best $1000 I ever spent. Not the $6500 for Snap On. Incredible build quality and finish. Gave my still very adequate 34 year old Craftsman to my son. Just wasn't big enough. Read the reviews.

All you doubters need to open up your minds and take a look. HF is on a mission - lots of other new lines of quality tools also.

Why are you comparing a Harbor Freight box to a Snap-on box? And what Snap-on line are you comparing it too? How many people on this board do you think are shopping for a Snap-on tool box?

You could buy a nice used MAC or Matco box for $1000 & I highly doubt the HF box is "better".

I had a MAC Maximizer triple bank for years & moved it fully loaded with 6000 pounds+ of tools in it on a trailer quite a few times.
Then you have the miles & miles of expansion joints & cracks in concrete they have to roll over.

I have seen to many cheaper boxes fail in a commercial environment, [censored] I've seen a few "Flagship" Cornwell boxes "Rack" & lean to one side.

If your going to put it in your home garage or leave it static in a shop.....Most any toolbox will do that job!

I'm a cynic when it comes to reviews of new products, It's not possible for this HF toolbox to be a "world beater" right off the boat. Get some years of hard use on a few thousand of them....Then we will talk about how good they are!!!

I'm a professional technician & don't have a toolbox at work, I have a Snap-on 3-drawer roll cart for my basic hand tools, A roll around work bench for my power tools, And a 6 foot tall Fire Cabinet for all my blow molded cases & specialty tools.

What Snap On am I comparing to?

Click on the HF link in my post. See the SO item by the price? Copy and paste that item and see the SO site and price.

Do the same for the top chest and end locker I referenced.

That adds up to $6500 vs the $1000 I paid. $1000 MIGHT get you one used Mac or Matco item, not 3.

Have you actually seen the new HF items or just going by preconceived opinions?

I never said HF was better. I merely said look at them. To me they are an incredible product at a great price.

Last edited:
You can only compare a rubber ducky inflatable boat to an Aircraft carrier if all you have in your pocket is $10 and your close to drowning.

49.gif

What Snap On am I comparing to?

Click on the HF link in my post. See the SO item by the price? Copy and paste that item and see the SO site and price.

Do the same for the top chest and end locker I referenced.

That adds up to $6500 vs the $1000 I paid. $1000 MIGHT get you one used Mac or Matco item, not 3.

Have you actually seen the new HF items or just going by preconceived opinions?

I never said HF was better. I merely said look at them. To me they are an incredible product at a great price.

I see they are comparing to the Snap-on KRA series, The KRA product line is JUNK & the price is outrageously stupid. I really hope no one is dumb enough to buy one.....Much less a new one at retail.

Snap-on KR & KRL roll cabs are the gold standard to which every other roll cab is measured. The retail prices on these boxes will make you go into cardiac arrest.... A new KRL-1022 retails for $10,370.

It's funny that folks will buy used cars & all the flaws that come with them.....But not a used tool box with some scratches & a couple dings?

You can buy a KR-1000 in good shape for $600-$1500, The median price being right around a grand......

U.S. General® Series 2 Roll Cab- Item#64165......21,500 cu. in. Retails for $749.99
U.S. General® Series 2 Top Chest- Item#64166.....13,200 cu. in. Retails for $469.99
Total............................................34,700 cu. in. Total Retail.......$1,219.98

1989 Snap-on 70th Anniversary KR-1000 Roll Cab HERE for $1,100 with 34,158 cu. in. of area.

Using cubic inches to measure tool storage capacity is misleading, Harbor Freight only gives this measurement......Square Inches is a more accurate measurement. Snap-on gives both measurements.
*What about drawer slide weight ratings? Snap-on gives these ratings.
*Slide warranty & availability? Snap-on warrants them for life, Every ball bearing slide they ever made is available.
*Castor warranty? Snap-on warrants ALL KR & KRL castors for life.

While having about as much "advertised" storage capacity of the 2 HF boxes.....It doubles as a work bench. Ask any technician how important a flat surface is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back