HF Tool Cabinets and Chests - Take another look

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good buy for sure. I paid less for the used 55" Made in Jamestown NY Matco than a new HF box and it was on the Snap On guys truck. He was happy to get it off the truck when he dropped it at my place.

I'll wager that you might get similar knee-jerk reactions when mentioning high quality HF products than you would if you walked into a whole foods type place and told one of the soyboys there that wonderbread tastes just as good as a the bread thats $10/lb gluten free, cruelty free, fair trade, sugar free, dairy free, etc etc

Originally Posted By: Walmill
I'll wager that you might get similar knee-jerk reactions when mentioning high quality HF products than you would if you walked into a whole foods type place and told one of the soyboys there that wonderbread tastes just as good as a the bread thats $10/lb gluten free, cruelty free, fair trade, sugar free, dairy free, etc etc

Now that’s funny!

Over on the Garage Journal site, worshiping the HF tool boxes has become something of a religion. Some of these guys are really addicted. You can't really blame them since the the value to price ratio is so high. The latest fad is using the 44" boxes as the basis of a permanent workbench. I've seen some pretty cool designs. You might want to check it out.

Originally Posted By: user52165

All you doubters need to open up your minds and take a look. HF is on a mission - lots of other new lines of quality tools also.

You mean to offshore what’s left of yet another industry destined for the third world?

Last one left, turn out the lights...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: user52165

All you doubters need to open up your minds and take a look. HF is on a mission - lots of other new lines of quality tools also.

You mean to offshore what’s left of yet another industry destined for the third world?

Last one left, turn out the lights...

I'd also check out waterloo tool chests. They use to make craftsman. My craftsman tool chest is a waterloo, they are made in Missouri.

I've never looked at snap-on or mac tool boxes as i've never needed that price range. I imagine for a professional, that security is an issue. Are the snap-on boxes harder to break into?

If you worked in a garage with a bunch of other mechanics, locking up and keeping your tools would seem to be an issue. My craftsman chest locks, but i'm sure its not as robust as a snap-on.

Last edited:
The only place where I had to lock my toolbox was a government job. The only other time I have seen someone lock their toolbox, they were going on vacation. I don't know about anywhere else, but people just don't lock their toolboxes here.

I own a bottom, top and side drawer cabinet KRL Snap-On set and I own a Harbor Freight 44" bottom box.

To say the Harbor Freight is the equal to the Snap-On KRL series of tool boxes that person is on some serious drugs.

The Snap-On KRL series tool boxes are head and shoulders higher quality over the Harbor Freight tool boxes. You don't want to spend the money on Snap-On fine but it sure gets tiring seeing these threads bashing Snap-On in order to try and justify your entry level Harbor Freight boxes.

My tool boxes hold 95% Snap-On tools, yes I paid for them and every bit of it is paid off. The other 5% is split up between Mac, Matco, Cornwell, OTC, AST, and a hand full of other specialty tools. Inventoried my tools and boxes not including the Harbor Freight box is valued at $51,248.16.

The fact is Harbor Freight tool boxes are not in the same league as the Snap-On KRL series of tool boxes.

Snap-On makes good stuff there is no question about that, I have to agree its going a bit far comparing a HF box to a SO box (or anything else SO) based on quality. One is a pro box the other a DIY.
OTOH the HF will work fine for most DIY for a good price, apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back