HF Icon Tool Storage - A Game Changer- Part 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by P10crew
Where is the video?

Scroll down.

Also, 20% off extended another month.

Last edited:
They'll probably always be 20% off.

I think they are going to be a flop at the pricing. Maybe I will be wrong though.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Just looked at their prices.

They seem very high.

Not really if they are of quality that can stand up for years of daily use. When Craftsman went Chicom they left a hug hole in the market and it seems to me anyway HF is going to try to fill the void.
I will try some of the Icon ratchets and see just how close they are to the SO, Hazet, Stahlwille, Proto, etc in heavy use, those are some high benchmarks to compete against.

A Game Changer?

Not at all. Just a different flavor.

"Game Changer" is a very overused hyperbole these days, and I guess the OP falls for the nonsense.

The latest email flier I got from them says they will offer 0% financing. Wow, they really are trying to compete with Snap-On.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
A Game Changer?

Not at all. Just a different flavor.

"Game Changer" is a very overused hyperbole these days, and I guess the OP falls for the nonsense.

The mass consumers are easy to fool .

Originally Posted by Trav

They seem very high.

Not really if they are of quality that can stand up for years of daily use. When Craftsman went Chicom they left a hug hole in the market and it seems to me anyway HF is going to try to fill the void.
I will try some of the Icon ratchets and see just how close they are to the SO, Hazet, Stahlwille, Proto, etc in heavy use, those are some high benchmarks to compete against.
You are correct about Cman boxes going import and that leaving a vacuum. US General boxes are popular because they offer modern designs at the price of mid tier (non-truck) used boxes. I've seen mint KRL722s for around $1500 CAD on Kijiji, not to mention what the tool truck driver will sell trade-ins for.

Princess Auto (Canadian HF) tries to sell higher end tools but the people who shop there aren't looking for those. I got a set of Vessel Megadora and Cushion grip screwdrivers on clearance there on two separate occasions because professionals who need quality won't be buying it from a retail store. They can get deals elsewhere that Joe Six-pack can't.

Game changer does not mean what you think it means.
18.gif

Originally Posted by Trav

They seem very high.

Where are these made? They had a nice Lawn Boy green box with black handles for $4000. I'll take their largest general brand box for 75%+ less. As far as mechanic use, I'm going to parrot what you normally say about parts availability and warranty. Both huge key points.

The hand tools look interesting, but once again, too much. Their combination wrenches were $100. Tekton (TW made) are half that. My cheap HF ratchet has been to [censored] and back several times and is still going strong. I do the ATF bath as you've previously suggested though.

The hand tools look interesting, but once again, too much. Their combination wrenches were $100. Tekton (TW made) are half that.

Tekton ? Why are you comparing them to Tekton (on price) ? HF is marketing these - and pricing them - to compete against the tool truck brands. Unless Tekton tools are sold on trucks....

IMO parts availability is going to be the key to making this brand appealing to pro users or not. With no ratchet replacement wear items like grips and gear sets, replacement draws and sliders for the boxes etc the brand is not going to attract tool truck customers.

The last thing I want is a new ratchet for my well broken in one because a $4 grip needs replacing. If I cant rebuild it I tells me I have a disposable tool.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
The hand tools look interesting, but once again, too much. Their combination wrenches were $100. Tekton (TW made) are half that.

Tekton ? Why are you comparing them to Tekton (on price) ? HF is marketing these - and pricing them - to compete against the tool truck brands. Unless Tekton tools are sold on trucks....

They've been marketing their hand tools against Snap-On for years. Nothing has changed aside from them coming out with a more expensive lineup.

Tekton is sold in a store as is all of HF's brands. Seems like a fair comparison to me.

Looks good but my 14 year old crapsman will do me.
I think they are a little out of reach for us week end warriors.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

They've been marketing their hand tools against Snap-On for years. Nothing has changed aside from them coming out with a more expensive lineup.

Tekton is sold in a store as is all of HF's brands. Seems like a fair comparison to me.

I have seen Tekton tools, not much better if at all than other low priced tools certainly not in the same class as Toptul as far as Taiwan brands go. Comparing them to SO is beyond wishful thinking on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back