Hey California, get your Camaro SS or ZL1 by the end of the year....or....

Status
Not open for further replies.
They cannot find another suitable material for brake pads that will work?

Yes. As noted in the article, the cars will be back in 2022 with compliant brake pads.

This isn't a surprise decision. It was passed in 2010. The industry has known for 11 years.

You'd have to imagine this was calculated by GM. Corvette is still being sold, as are Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V, all of which have performance brakes. Somebody just didn't forget about Camaro. Maybe the plan was to load up dealers with early 2021 inventory before the ban was in place on January 1, allowing them to hold out until 2022, but the pandemic screwed up those production plans.

I didn't read the article. I guess it's one method of getting demand for certain models up. I wonder how much impact Trucks/SUV segments have taken away from the the sports car market after all these years.

Considering that there are dozens other vehicle manufacturers selling cars in CA questions is, is GM that incompetent or they are doing it in purpose. It is GM, both are equally possible.

Man I am not one to defend california in any way but if a simple pad change can help the environment what is wrong with that?

I understand regulations stink but if the industry knew about it in 2010 they could have acted and prevented this.

Buy the car in Oregon :sneaky:

Also, they could just swap non-copper brake pads at the dealer.

And like others said, the law was passed 10 years ago, so they had plenty of time to adjust.

Copper works very well in brake pads for dissipating heat. Alternatives have been implemented for quite some time, but they are not always as effective as copper.

Why does it take a year to fit the car with compliant brake pads?
Maybe an OEM engineer will chime in, but going thru a validation program for brake systems (or any system at the OE level) consists of rigorous internal testing, FMVSS testing, etc.

Aftermarket is very different. For aftermarket, I joke: if it fits, it ships.

Maybe an OEM engineer will chime in, but going thru a validation program for brake systems (or any system at the OE level) consists of rigorous internal testing, FMVSS testing, etc.

Aftermarket is very different. For aftermarket, I joke: if it fits, it ships.
Yeah, probably CA supposed to give them 20 years instead of 10. They managed to test other vehicles they sell there.

Makes one wonder

First, who is vetting these studies

If true, why isn't this same problem at the relative same levels everywhere on Earth having the same effect?

Then why hasn't it been happening since tires have been on the road with brakes?

ok Mister Sanity.
thinking the answer is: lawyers, oh, & the other issue, 'barristers' (also really just lawyers)

Yes, it is getting locked. More than half the posts are political, or insults.

The article itself will remain up, for those who would like to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back