Hennessy Venom GT - 270 MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh lord, Johnny Boy is using his promotional genius to get his name in the headlines again. Gee whiz, Johnny, if your car is so great why didn't you do a reverse run the way every other speed record is done? Hmm?

He's an incredible salesman and promoter, but so are most con artists. There's a few of us down here who have some real stories. He tried to hire me once.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I am almost certain I met the guy in this vid at the Florida Mile a few years back. They were shaking down a Ford GT with turbos AND a supercharger. Man, what a car!

It used to have a twin turbo/PD supercharger combo, but the s/c itself became was a restriction so it's turbo only now. J. Mihovetz is doing the engines for the car.

Always wondered how the SC could not be a restriction and a power drag as well. If all you want is peak power then a turbo can be hard to beat, but I guess the mechanical blower is a better bet for the street if you want some civility...

I did a big research program about ten years ago on twincharged engines. The roots pump adds to the low end but the turbos get you the big dyno numbers is the general idea. It works okay. Heat soak is a constant problem. I did a mockup for a marine motor and it would heatsoak past a certain point even with an infinite radiator size. Running them on meth helped a lot too - we moved to straight alky motors pretty quickly in that program.

The Roots blower needs to be carefully selected and prepped to work ideally. We spent a lot of time working with BDS experimenting with different rotor seal designs because of the over-pressure.

My customer got bored with it before we could really finalize anything, but I felt like we had a pretty great "outlaw" drag or boat motor in there - I was getting a really remarkably flat torque curve in the 1500 range from about 2400RPM to nearly 7400, IIRC, and it didn't nose over real bad until about 8300.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: whip
Carrol Shelby was a terrible person, and no one seemed to care.

They did trust me. There was a lot of hate in the Mustang world for what he did, just when the new GT500 came out, all the people that wanted a Shelby when they were teenagers and had not been in the Mustang scene since the 70s became fanboys. The "Gone in 60 Seconds" remake didn't help either. If I had bought a new GT500, I would have the SHELBY lettering removed before I drove it off the lot. He did literally nothing on the new GT500s, except put his name on it and collect a check from Ford.

All true, and it didn't hurt sales at all.

Originally Posted By: whip
All true, and it didn't hurt sales at all.

I would love a new GT500, 650hp, TR-6060 gearbox, active trans and differential cooling, sign me up. I would just take all the Shelby markings off and replace them with SVT since they did the R&D on the car and not Shelby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back