Hengst H17W05, Mahle OC261 & NAPA Gold 1374

Hengst from the '74 TR6 with a period spin on conversion (pretty much the only mod on the car).
Mahle from the '72 Land Rover also with a spin on conversion.
NAPA from the '74 BMW 2002

All ~1K miles w/ M1 15w-50

Cut open three filters. Of these, the Hengst is my preferred one, as while it and the Mahle are both excellent, I like the diaphragm ADBV spring used by Hengst. Both the Hengst and Mahle had dense media pleats, no tears, etc. The NAPA, while a enough good filter, had noticeably less media and a thinner, easier to cut can, no problems though.. I use the NAPA as it is the same specs as the OE filter, but with an ADBV. At some point, I will research the equivalent Mann, Mahle or Hengst.

Nothing remarkable in the please except expected fine wear particles from the BMW as it is ~3K mi since overhaul and, interestingly, the TR had a noticeable amount of carbon in the pleats, which I have never seen before in this car. Last Spring, on the first ride of the year, one of the carb float valves stuck open and passed a lot of fuel into the crankcase; the oil level rose well above 'full'. I changed the oil that evening, but I am wondering if the fuel was a bit of a solvent during the time it was in.
Hengst TR.jpg

Mahle LR.jpg

NAPA BMW.jpg

Last edited:
interestingly, the TR had a noticeable amount of carbon in the pleats, which I have never seen before in this car. Last Spring, on the first ride of the year, one of the carb float valves stuck open and passed a lot of fuel into the crankcase; the oil level rose well above 'full'.
Carbon deposits probably from running rich. I see more carbon deposits in the oil filter after a winter run when more fuel enrichment takes place.

Back