Hemi Cam/Lifters - Best Oil?

Recently this video was posted to YouTube. The guy explains some of the design flaws with the the Gen 3 Hemi that he thinks contributes to the cam/lifter failures.

In February I purchased a '13 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi. It was a single owner truck with a record of service every 5 to 6k its entire life to that point (84k miles).

Currently I'm running Royal Purple HPS 5w-30 in the truck. I changed the oil from dealer fill after I put about 1500 miles on it and did a UOA on the unknown dealer fill. Blackstone didn't think there was any indication of issues at the time.

Here's my question: In light of all the discussions here and the experience and expertise y'all have, and the video I linked, what do you think is my best bet for my next fill? Stick with RP-HPS 5w-30? Drop to 5w-20? Switch to Redline 5w-20?

This is just a guess , but if it were mine , any of the name brand 5W-30 or 10W-30 ( depending on climate ) name brand full synthetic oils . A good filter and about 5000 OCI . ( I do not own a Ram or Chrysler . )

That depends upon how you define "best" in this context.

Best, as in which oil will prevent the problem from happening? Hopefully you don't believe someone has that answer. If they did, the cause would be known. And if the cause were known, the problem wouldn't be a problem anymore.

But the problem is still a problem.

Again, you will need to provide more details on what you're looking for before anyone can tell you which oil might best suit those needs.

Just stick with the same oil you have used for the past 83.5k miles. Why change now?

Last edited:
First off I'd stick with a 30 grade oil. I have an A tech friend who works at a local Jeep dealership, and he has handled a few cam lifter failures in the hemi. He was told by a few Chrysler reps that go to the dealerships to help with issues on occasion, to use an oil with a high ZDDP content, or boost the ZDDP count to 1,200-1,500 ZDDP with an additive. They claim it can help. Flame suit on, that's what he told me he was told, and I've heard it from others who know a lot more than I do, well respected members here in fact............ It makes sense to me. Unfortunately because it's ZDDP and the impact it may or may not have on Catalytic Converters you're not going to see it in a TSB.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
First off I'd stick with a 30 grade oil. I have an A tech friend who works at a local Jeep dealership, and he has handled a few cam lifter failures in the hemi. He was told by a few Chrysler reps that go to the dealerships to help with issues on occasion, to use an oil with a high ZDDP content, or boost the ZDDP count to 1,200-1,500 ZDDP with an additive. They claim it can help. Flame suit on, that's what he told me he was told, and I've heard it from others who know a lot more than I do, well respected members here in fact............ It makes sense to me. Unfortunately because it's ZDDP and the impact it may or may not have on Catalytic Converters you're not going to see it in a TSB.

01.gif

Yes sir that makes sense to me too....

Ohh the cats in my car cost $1,550 to be replaced... Did that at 240,000 miles... Not super bad... I had seen estimates 2,000 to 2,500 dollars.. But not cheap either.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by demarpaint

01.gif

Yes sir that makes sense to me too....

Ohh the cats in my car cost $1,550 to be replaced... Did that at 240,000 miles... Not super bad... I had seen estimates 2,000 to 2,500 dollars.. But not cheap either.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the Cats too much. I've been driving and owning cars since the mid 70's. I've yet to replace a CC. I'd boost the ZDDP and not lose any sleep over it if I owned something that was flagged for cam lifer issues, unless I owned a real oil burner.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I would use CASTROL GTX MAGNATEC if that was my truck.

That's an interesting choice and quite possibly a good one.

I think I'd use Red Line 5w20 if it was mine though.

Redline 5w-30 for my 5.7 and Redline 5w-40 for my 6.4, lots of moly and zinc and low Noack.

cam failures greatly exagerated, freinds who are techs claim ones they have scene are in squads where cheap bulk 20w were used and engines were not clean.

freinds who are techs claim ones they have scene are in squads where cheap bulk 20w were used and engines were not clean.

Sounds like many on this forum who are most concerned about their $2 rebate on their $15 jug of oil.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by buster
freinds who are techs claim ones they have scene are in squads where cheap bulk 20w were used and engines were not clean.

Sounds like many on this forum who are most concerned about their $2 rebate on their $15 jug of oil.
lol.gif

Think that's why some OEM's have moved to 0w20 instead of 5w20 … you might see a better Noack on a top shelf brand … but a 5w20 is not hard to go cheap on …

Originally Posted by VNTS
Redline 5w-30 for my 5.7 and Redline 5w-40 for my 6.4, lots of moly and zinc and low Noack.

cam failures greatly exagerated, freinds who are techs claim ones they have scene are in squads where cheap bulk 20w were used and engines were not clean.

They are greatly exaggerated, many times people join forums just to complain, vent, troll, or learn about an issue they have. Things can quickly get blown out of proportion. When you consider how many millions of these engines are in use the failure rate isn't bad. Having said that I would still follow my friend's advice, and the advice of others regarding ZDDP and possibly lower the odds of it happening to me.

Originally Posted by leviksu
Recently this video was posted to YouTube. The guy explains some of the design flaws with the the Gen 3 Hemi that he thinks contributes to the cam/lifter failures.

In February I purchased a '13 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi. It was a single owner truck with a record of service every 5 to 6k its entire life to that point (84k miles).

Currently I'm running Royal Purple HPS 5w-30 in the truck. I changed the oil from dealer fill after I put about 1500 miles on it and did a UOA on the unknown dealer fill. Blackstone didn't think there was any indication of issues at the time.

Here's my question: In light of all the discussions here and the experience and expertise y'all have, and the video I linked, what do you think is my best bet for my next fill? Stick with RP-HPS 5w-30? Drop to 5w-20? Switch to Redline 5w-20?

Go to a couple different Ram forums / messageboards. A-lot of those owners swear by Red Line oil. You are already paying a premium price for your oil.
What's the saying?..... When the shoe fits, wear it.

If they are captured needle-bearing roller followers - they will fail

especially with big valves and periodic overrevving and float..

ZDDP wont do a thing here - Nothing.

I will say that excessively thick oil will cause the rollers to skate instead of roll.

The cam surface metallurgy is ordinarily NOT designed for rubbing wear.

So you will get galling and spalling and soon failure.

I would bet any VVT cam jitter doesn't help at all either.

Last edited:
In my opinion if Ram could have fixed the problem by moving to 5W-30 they would have. I would simply use a quality 5W-20 or 0W-20 and do 6,000 mi changes. The PYB (Assuming that's what the dealer oil is) would be fine. If you really want to use a synthetic then QSUD would work fine. All the boutique oils in the world are unlikely to fix a low occurance design issue.

However if it makes you feel better to spend more for RP or RL then by all means spend away. Although as already noted thicker with needle bearings is seldom the correct move for maximum longevity.

Uncle Tony's video has been debunked on a number of other threads, so I won't go into it yet again on this one.

For my 6.4L HEMI, FCA wants only 0W-40 synthetic in it. I'm using PUP. Fiat is a European concern, and specs Royal Dutch Shell routinely. That's not why I use it - it is the whole GTL stability and cleanliness thing. FCA claims the fix is a more robust lifter, and they have implemented it circa 2017. For the 5.7L HEMI, they want only 5W-20.

In both cases, high quality base stock is important in that the oil is also used for hydraulics - the VVT cam phaser & the MDS cutout system. Can't tolerate oxidation and varnishing - more like an automatic transmission.

These are still MPFI engines, not GDI, so don't have to be changed early to dump soot & fuel dilution. Pay for a top quality synthetic, stay in vis grade, then don't worry about it.

Back