Helping our Babysitter: Diagnosing from 14(!!!) Engine Codes 2012 Hyundai Velostar

Thanks. Appreciate the sound advice. I'd no go further than the parts listed and truly do wish she'd take it to a shop, but see above... 19 year old making 19 year old decisions though being advised to do otherwise.

She does yes. We grilled her about this while she was interviewing. We have a guest room and she has taken us up on the offer of staying twice. That said, where we live (Springfield, Missouri) has a lot of small town outside of town and we're the only "big town" around. Many, many people commute in for work. Not that this matters in this discussion, but she's in the process of finding her own place in town.
You live in my area. I live in a small town 30 miles west of Springfield. Just out of curiosity, what shop did you send her to?

You live in my area. I live in a small town 30 miles west of Springfield. Just out of curiosity, what shop did you send her to?

Small world. I haven’t referred her to a shop / she didn’t ask. She lives an hour southeast of Springfield with her family so assume she’ll end up at a shop there. But if I were to recommend a shop, I’d probably refer her to Ken Owen first. And then maybe to Aasby’s.

Where would you send her/someone first?

How many miles on the vehicle? O2 sensors are usually good for 100kto 150k miles, depending on sensor type. Narrow band sensors are good for 100k miles.

Hmm Hyundai veloster =ugly, ran out of oil=worthless, this car isn't worth the gas she's putting in it. Let her drive it till it dies

I know this is "closed", but getting multiple misfires and a P0300 - is almost never coils or plugs. I see people, including shops - immediately throw money away putting on new coils and plugs. If your insistent on doing that, swap just one - so when it doesn't go away you haven't wasted more.

I agree with the timing chain as likely issue - both cam sensors being over-advanced.

My desire to help is selfish... she lives and hour away. If she has no vehicle, we have no nanny.
Which if it happens enough, she should have no job.

I get your interest in the situation and helping her, but some people need to think for themselves and not always rely on others for help. Better for her to learn that lesson being a 19 year old nanny, than when she is 35 with 3 kids and loses her job.

Small world. I haven’t referred her to a shop / she didn’t ask. She lives an hour southeast of Springfield with her family so assume she’ll end up at a shop there. But if I were to recommend a shop, I’d probably refer her to Ken Owen first. And then maybe to Aasby’s.

Where would you send her/someone first?
I've heard good things about Kenny Owens but have not used him. I've heard good things about Eaglecrest Automotive in Nixa and have several friends that use them.

I use a place close to where I live if I need anything done but I do most of my own work so I rarely take my vehicles anywhere.

It sounds like she lives fairly close to where my ex-wife lives. My son and his wife also live there.

With all those codes I'd first do a compression test before throwing plugs/coils/injectors/vvt solenoids at it. Also check the oil, low oil will set those kinds of timing codes, if the level is good and compression checks out (at least 158psi) then the solenoids are probably clogged up.

The p0420 is likely due to misfires, the cat may be fine if you caught it early but if they've been driving around a long time like that it might be cooked. If the plugs and coils are shot that's also the likely reason the O2 sensor is stuck rich.

Back