Help with transaxle fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always looking to find an alternative to dealer items if at all possible. This is what my rear differential requires on my UTV (Textron Wildcat XX).

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-c...HxNqAc4J5gYD-HlxYZ6m9CwKnxUaArAcEALw_wcB

Does anyone know what is special about this fluid. Is it closer to a 75w90 or engine oi? I would like to find an alternative oil that I can get locally? Here is the description of the AC fluid -

"Arctic Cat Synthetic Transaxle Fluid is a full-synthetic lubricant designed to provide complete lubrication and protection for Arctic Cat Wildcat transaxles
Lighter viscosity formula is more fluid at cold temperatures and remains stable at high temperatures. Protects against wear, oxidation and corrosion. Extended life formula resist shearing"

Well, it seams like a specialized fluid, they only use it in three of their models where they use 80w90 in all of their models. There literally isn't any spec's on it, so the question you need to research is what about your transaxle requires specialized fluid. Usually I see visa versa when it comes to axles, as in specialized axles tend to use thicker oils like 75w140 not thinner, so I can't wager a guess. Until I found more info, I would use that stuff. Maybe someone here will be more helpful.

I'd speculate it is a GL5 in 75W90 or 75W85.
80W90 GL5 would be my pick, unless your shop is in Arctic.

Early reports were that the dealers were having folks use AC's ACX oil as an alternative. ACX is a 0w40 weight. Also from I have seen. people report that this transaxle fluid is very light and thin. Makes me think closer to an engine oil than a gear oil.

Also, front requires hypoid 80w90 - The service manual says to replace rear oil with "synthetic transaxle fluid with EP."

Not really sure. Just mentioning what others have said. I'm half tempted to use a 75w90 and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back