Help with Snow Blower Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my sons snowblower, the nut that holds the bowl on which is also the jet, requires a 1/2 inch open end. Watch the video I posted earlier and it's the basicly the same deal for a 8 hp carb.,,

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
12-15 year old Ariens 8HP Tecumseth. Was my grandfatehrs and sat for 2 years. Starts up fine on full choke but sounds like it's starved and wants to stall. Pump primer and it revs back up without stalling. After a few minutes (full choke still) will run steady. Runs well for about 20minutes under normal (full choke still) and then surges up and down loosing about 70% power.

If I turn the choke dial she begins to stall out even when all warmed up.

Suggestions?? Besides the obvious go buy urself a new blower
grin.gif

I have the exact same problem with my snowblower! It is a 2 year old troybuilt snow blower and I think I know whats up, here goes. I have a hunch that it is the stabil gas treatment I use varnishing the carbs up. I notice that when stabil gets very cold, it gets thicker and seems to stick to the walls of the container more. Even in low doses inside your gas tank, this cant be good for the small jets of a tiny carburator on a 5-10 horse machine. I think the combination of mixing already old gas with stabil, using too much stabil and the ethanol content breaking the gas down faster all contribute to the problem.

I have recently switched to using seafoam for my small engine gas stabilizer and now I notice my troy built snowblower doing this less and less. I am to the point now where I can run my snowblower on nearly off choke, with no bogging at all. It still does bog down a little if I take the choke completely off but it is much better.

In the future I am going to do a better job of keeping the caps on my fuel cans and use seafoam from here on out to treat and stabilize all my small engine stuff. I just really dont trust stabil these days. It seems more sticky and almost plastic like lately, a formulation change maybe?

When I used Stabil years ago in my boats, they only sold the red stuff by me. They now sell a green colored Stabil for marine use, that I hear is better then the red.I'm gonna try it this year in my sons snowblower and in my generator. I will say that in the last few years I've mixed MMO in the gas can before I filled it, and haven't had any starting problems with lawn mowers that had gas from the last season left in them.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back