Help with oil leak that i can't fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello

I have a 2000 eclipse gt with the v6 engine. I've been dealing with an oil leak from the rear valve cover since november 2012...I've replaced the gasket 2 times,added permatex ultra black, and i had no luck fixing the leak. I'm very frustrated because the oil gets on the exhaust manifold and it smokes badly,i'm also worried about the car catching fire.
It's been a few months since i don't use the car because of the leak,im a student and there's no way i'm a pay $450 to fix the leak (replacing the rear valve cover is a big job in this car)...
I'm considering adding a stop leak or something like that and get rid of the car immediatly. Which one do you guys suggest me?

It's sad because i love the car and the engine runs like new,but i have no other choice and im sick of dealing with the valve cover...It's been 4 attempts to fix it and it only gets worse.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2887336

Thanks

I don't think thngs like this get fixed with mouse milk. Isn't there an owners group somewhere whose members have some experience with this engine? Is the PCV system working properly?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I don't think thngs like this get fixed with mouse milk. Isn't there an owners group somewhere whose members have some experience with this engine? Is the PCV system working properly?

Agreed.

Clean it off with some brake clean and see if you can definitively pinpoint the source of the leak. There has to be something amiss in that area for this issue to persist the way it has.

There are three options of why the leak continues:

1) Damaged sealing surface on valve cover or head.
2) Damaged gasket or improperly installed gasket.
3) Leak is from another location.

Once you determine which of these three is causing your problem, we can help you.

Originally Posted By: vtecboy

I'm considering adding a stop leak or something like that and get rid of the car immediatly. Which one do you guys suggest me

There is no stop leak that you can add to your engine's oil to stop a leak at a fresh rubber gasket.

I think Christopher Hussey is pretty much right on. You need to first verify you don't have excessive blowby or a plugged up PCV system, then remove the valve cover to see what you did wrong the last time and fix it.

Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey

Once you determine which of these three is causing your problem, we can help you.

A couple more: PCV valve stuck causing excessive crankcase pressure, forcing it out. High exhaust manifold temp causing gaskets to degrade quickly. Are you using quality gaskets? How about the girl in the humor section near the top "how not to add oil". Does she add you oil?

IF you have to replace the valve cover again try running the car up on ramps to get it to a little more comfortable working height.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Try Lubro Moly Motor Oil Saver, available at Napa

Yep. If it doesn't work you will actually have to fix the gasket.

I agree with everyone that suggested to take it apart and fix the gasket. Use some high temperature silicone to hold/glue the gasket into the valve cover.

That said, I recently had good success with Pennzoil Engine Stop leak. But it helped slow down a leak on my 2000 Sienna van with valve cover gaskets that are 7 years old.

Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey

Very good post. In furtherance of #2 above be sure not to over tighten the VC bolts. That can warp things and let it leak even with a new gasket. Also, give the sealant time to set. Don't throw it all together and then instantly drive down the road.

The other members comment about a stuck PCV causing too high of a CC pressure is also a possibility. I have seen CC pressure too high cause massive leaks before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back