Help with First Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding booze, buy a bottle of soda the same color as the liquor you want, drink the soda, and refill the bottle with the liquor. They don't check soda bottles, and worse case they take it and hold it for you until the end of the cruise. I have done it several times on several cruises.

Wife and I go on vacations all across the USA and it's rare where we have more than one drink per day.
One doesn't need alcohol to have a good time and all our money is spent right here helping America & their jobs here.

I can understand Cruises and overseas vacations..... but only after exploring all of the mainland USA.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Tell the crew to check the oil levels.
Also tell them there are some good rebates on M1 right now.
I can see a bitog person arguing with the crew, insisting on the use of over FA-4 diesel oil only.

Originally Posted by klt1986
Wife and I are going on our first cruise next month and just looking for a few tips. We had talked about trying one for years and finally found a good deal a few months back, so we booked it. Price wise it is much less than going to our favorite beach for a week, even with tips and excursions factored in. Looking for ideas on what to do and what not to do, for that matter. It is a 7 day cruise visiting Nassau, Grand Turk, and the Dominican Republic. We do like to drink some liquor every now and then but the drink packages are ridiculous. Looks like a lot of people try and smuggle their liquor on board. Not real sure I want to go that route but I'm open to suggestions. Any suggestions on tips for getting any type of room upgrade at the last minute?

klt -

The wife and I rediscovered cruising after a 23 year gap between numbers 1 and 2. Since our rediscovery we've sailed 14 times since 2010 and have 3 booked in the next 12 months. Here are some thoughts

1. Since your calling on Grand Turk, I believe that the only lines that call at GT are Carnival lines. This would be Carnival, Holland and Princess (Carnival CORPORATION owns additional lines, but I don't believe they call at GT); these lines are all owned by Carnival Corporation. I'm taking a guess that you're booked on a Carnival ship. The cruise center at GT is owned by Carnival and it's always a beach day for us. You indicated that you've already booked an excursion. The ship docks literally feet from the beach, after your excursion ends, you can visit the beach. Also if you have time, Jack's Shack is at the far left end of the beach (about a 20 minute walk) as you look at the shore from the ship. Good food, cheaper drinks and Topher, the owners dog. Check out Jack's Shack Facebook page.

2. Nassau is a stay on the ship port for us now. I'm sure what you booked you'll enjoy.

3. Dominican Republic - I assume this is Amber Cove. This is another Carnival owned/developed port stop. We've only been there once and that was shortly after they opened. Can't provide any other details.

4. All ports - You'll find vendors along your stops and at the beaches can be kind of pushy. They will take no for an answer and move on. Just be firm. Taxis are NOT metered. Be sure you negotiate and understand if the fare is total or per person before you get in the taxi. I lot of ports now have fixed rates to common attractions. Go the the ports talk on ship and ask about taxi fares.

5. I've sailed almost all the Carnival ships that sail 7 day itineraries. If you post ship name I can give some ship specific suggestions.

6. Food #1 - In the dining room you can order as many appetizers, entrees, and desserts as you wish. Don't be shy!

7. Food #2 - Just because food is available almost constantly, it doesn't mean you need to eat constantly. It not unusual for new cruiser to put 5-10 pounds on in a 7 day trip.

8. Food #3 - Treat you and your wife to a meal in the steakhouse one evening instead of the main dining room. It's an upcharge restaurant on Carnival ($38pp) but rivals most land based steakhouses I've eaten in at 2-3 times the price. If you book first night you get a free bottle of wine.

8. Don't try to do everything listed in the daily schedule. Take some time to find a quiet place and just watch the ocean go by.

9. Don't overthink it.

10. If you haven't yet, consider purchasing travel insurance. I buy it specifically medical coverage and if, god forbid, either one of us needs to be medically evacuated back to the States for care. I don't insure for cost of the trip, just medical and evacuation. Visit www.squaremouth.com for different policies. Expect to pay under $100 for a medical only policy.

11. If you of your wife are subject to motion sickness, see if your doctor will write you a Rx for meclazine. It's the Rx strength generic version of Bonine, but you need to begin taking before symptoms start.

12. Carnival ships sail full. I believe the last annual report stated as a corporation, the ships sail at 102% capacity across all lines. There will be no pier side or upgrades available on ship. If your interested, now is the time to proactively call and see if anything is available at a price your willing to pay.

I agree with a lot of what the other responses cover. Visit the forums at www.cruisecritic.com. Although be warned, a lot of cruisers there suggest bringing a lot of things you really don't need.

Happy cruising. Don't be surprised if you get hooked.

CB

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by JustinH
Just took our first cruise to Cozumel and Progreso Mexico on carnival.

5 day from Galveston, had a great time.

Drink package was too much money for us also. Book your cruise on priceline to get cash back, and onboard ship credit.

We ended up with $150 in credit onboard from priceline and $86 in bucks for doing the ebates clickthrough.

We purchased both shore excursions from shore excursioner website not carnival, and paid about 40 percent less than Carnival.

Food was good, we are booking again for the fall.

Tour to Merida is better than hanging out in Progresso. Very nice, working (not like Cozomel or Cancun) Mexican city. One of my favorite day trips.

100 percent correct. Progreso is a dump. We took a shuttle and did a tour of Merida. Very nice, had a great lunch and got to see quite a bit of the city.

Solar rays are super hot down there. I live in San Antonio and was getting burned just walking around in 85 degree heat. 85 in san antonio is nothing I never get burned.

I've been perfectly happy with inside cabins because I only go there to sleep. The only time we paid for a balcony was the inside passage to Alaska, and that was well worth it. We sat on our balcony and watched the icebergs calve off the glacier. It was nice. For hot cruises I'm happy to sit on deck.

One of the good things about booking excursion thru the cruise line is that they will hold the ship for you if you're late getting back to port.

www.insuremytrip.com is a good place to search for travel medical insurance. We usually buy a $25 policy that covers hospitalization in a foreign country and evacuation home if needed. Happily we have never had to use it.

There's a guy on YouTube "tipsfortravelers" whose name is Gary Bembridge that does very useful short videos to help you prepare for a cruise.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Wife and I go on vacations all across the USA and it's rare where we have more than one drink per day.
One doesn't need alcohol to have a good time and all our money is spent right here helping America & their jobs here.

I can understand Cruises and overseas vacations..... but only after exploring all of the mainland USA.

It's a big world. You should see more of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. It is a 7 day Carnival cruise but I must admit, we knew going in the reputation and crowd that Carnival draws from a friend who does quite a bit of cruising herself.

Our gratuities have already been paid but I'm sure a few things here or there may pop up. I did purchase medical and evacuation insurance but paid a little more for it than what the "squaremouth" website offers. I saved them and the other insurance link to my favorites and plan to use them for a trip we have planned coming up later in the fall.

We already have a few other cruise destinations that we would like to see next......assuming we enjoy this one.

Originally Posted by klt1986
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. It is a 7 day Carnival cruise but I must admit, we knew going in the reputation and crowd that Carnival draws from a friend who does quite a bit of cruising herself.

I've sailed carnival several times. The only issue with the people around you are usually going to be on the short( less expensive cruises), right after school is out, right before school starts back , and spring break.

I don't go at those times. I've done carnival and princess, going on royal caribbean later this year.

I will say, i think the service is better on the smaller carnival ships, like the carnival pride, verses the mega size glory, conquest etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back