Avoiding water-borne illness abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In January I am going to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic for a good friend's wedding. It's an all-inclusive resort. I have heard that in some of these countries you need to be VERY careful of drinking the water and even eating food that was washed with the local water (fruits, vegetables).

Obviously you should stick with bottled water when thirsty, but what do you do about things like ice in a drink? Or the washing of plates and silverware?

Any suggestions? This will be my first time visiting a place with a questionable water supply. The last thing I want is to be sick while on vacation.

No ice. Open your own water bottles-- they'll try and cheat you by refilling with tap. Beer should usually be okay.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
No ice.

Will hard alcohol (vodka, rum, etc) kill pathogens in the ice?

Its not terrible, drink bottle water and watch out for vegetables.

Ice I never had problems with, we always brought or made our own on the boat. Washing stuff isn't an issue, heck you can do it with ocean water and just rinse it off with a bit of fresh.

Jamaica was the worst, that island is a hole. Cayman, Curacao, and Cuba (in the cities) had very clean and good tap water. Outside the cities it was salty you had to watch it.

Most water down their is from desalination plants, some don't work so well. If your at a resort you should be OK, if you go outside bring bottle water.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: eljefino
No ice.

Will hard alcohol (vodka, rum, etc) kill pathogens in the ice?

Not all the time. Beer is safe not because of the alcohol content but because of the cleanliness needed for the brew to work properly.

Bright beer baby! Its everywhere down their and mostly water!

amstel-bright.jpg

Last edited:
Open your own bottles including beer and soda. No ice. Brush teeth with bottled water. Keep the shower water out of your mouth, eyes, and ears. Eat washed fruit if you can peel it or see it peeled. Plan on most of the meals in the hotel, but you can eat on the street if you see it come from the grill, pan, oil, etc. Overkill if you will be there for a long time and can learn what is safe. But for short visit, overkill is appropriate.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. It seems to echo what I read online. Some recommended getting a prescription for Cipro, a broad-spectrum antibiotic, and to take it just in case. It can lessen symptoms of any sort of illness. Obviously I will call my physician and make sure I have the necessary immunizations.

Most people say that sickness down there is self-inflicted -- too much sun, not enough water, too much booze, over-indluging, etc. I plan to enjoy myself but not to overdo it. :)

As stated open everything yourself. No ice and use germ x after washing your hands with their water. Don't even brush your teeth with their water. I personally didn't get sick because of the tableware, but that's food for thought also.

Be very careful with fruits too. Its very easy to grab something that is already prepared. They make pretty fancy fruit salads. lol

First off. Enjoy your trip. If you are so rapped up on what not to do, you won't have any fun. I traveled in Tialand for 3 years on and off. You will get sick if you travel. Fact. But. Use your head and don't worry. Drink and eat. Have fun. See you Doctor before you go. He or she will give you a few scripts for just what you are worried about. Have a ball!
Joe

Girlfriend (who is Mexican born) got back from Villahermosa, Mexico last month after a 5 day trip. She did everything she could not to get any sicknesses. Soon after returning home she became ill (as well as her travel friend). She has no idea how they both contracted it. Her friend was diagnosed with some sort of water-borne illness and was treated with antibiotics. The girlfriend toughed it out with no doctor visit and came through it just fine.
Drinking hard booze really won't kill the nasties....I've heard that the alcohol is absorbed before it can effect the pathogens.
Not much you can do but read up on prevention all you can and stick to the plan. The locals are impervious to theses illnesses for the most part (from exposure over many years time) so don't listen to them if they say something is safe or that they never get sick from it. Although they mean well...be very careful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Too_many_Cars
First off. Enjoy your trip. If you are so rapped up on what not to do, you won't have any fun. I traveled in Tialand for 3 years on and off. You will get sick if you travel. Fact. But. Use your head and don't worry. Drink and eat. Have fun. See you Doctor before you go. He or she will give you a few scripts for just what you are worried about. Have a ball!
Joe

Drink and eat and just have a ball? Do you realize how serious some food illnesses are and that many do indeed KILL people? I'm not trying to be nasty toward you or your intent on wanting the OP to have a good time....but one should still be careful when traveling with what you place in your mouth.

Originally Posted By: Too_many_Cars
Joe

Have you even seen the movie Dumb and Dumber??

Originally Posted By: spackard
Almost all resorts provide purified water. Ice cubes are generally made from this as well, especially at resorts and tourist places.

Source: http://dr1.com/travel/thedr/faq.shtml
http://www.hispaniola.com/dominican_republic/info/faq.php

I was just going to mention this! Dont brush teeth with water..other good tips here and it wont hurt to take one of those pills they give. I know a good number of people who got sick in the dominican from food or water borne illnesses. Id rather be overly cautious than spend the vacation in the hotel room on the bowl feeling sick..its not fun...

Last edited:
having lived in Latin America
I would believe the hotels food is fine to eat.
I always brushed my teeth with tap water.
but any kind of street food especially cold vegetables would be questionable.
hot stuff like tacos, fried food etc should be fine.
have fun and make sure to bring back a detailed oil report with pics
wink.gif

PeptoBismol tablets. The Bismuth will bind endotxins of E. coli. Bactrim is also a great antibiotic if you cannot stand Cipro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back