Help with choosing coolant for my 1984 300d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my om617 motor is in need of a cooling system makeover. I just dont know what coolant to buy. Right now it has conventional green in it. Thats what was in in when i bought it 2 years ago ( oh no i don't think it was changed years before that either.). So the block is cast iron and the radiator and probably the heater core are aluminum as well is the thermostat housing. So most of the people over on the mercedes forum use g-05. Someone was using cat elc without any ill effects so far ( that doesn't really mean much). So i have been reading about coolant for the past couple of days trying to get info on whats good. I originally wanted a diesel elc coolant. After reading about 2-EHA and sebacate i want a coolant that does not have these things as i do not know what they will do to the gaskets in my engine. I was going to use primatech elc coolant as i have a fleedpride right by my house that would supply it but i do not know if it has 2-eha or sebacate in it. Some other options are to go with a low silicate conventional green and add the appropriate amount of sca. I like that that it has silicate and phosphate which protect the metals fast. Also i see that primatech sells a hd coolant with sca already added but it has a ph of like 10-11. I read that to high of a ph is not good for the plastic on the radiator. Also i do not know if this coolant has 2-eha or sebacate. I will probably have to call the company and see whats up. Last i could go with g-05 and add some sca but i see g-05 does not have phosphates which help protect aluminum very quickly and that appeals to me. So what i really want is a diesel elc coolant that does not have 2-eha or sebacate in it but i see that is what these elc coolants are based around. Thanks

Last edited:
G-05 seems ok, but while you're there replace reservoir cap (with similar opening pressure as original) and cooling fan's visco clutch. That's a cheap way to avoid head gasket failure or even crack in head due overheating.

My OM603 boiled over while reversing a heavy trailer, and after few months there was oil in coolant. Luckily head didn't fail, only gasket.

I am not going to replace the radiator cap or the fan clutch as both are ok. I am going to replace the thermostat though. Basically a really good cleaning with water and some soap then the citric acid flush then more flushing with water then new coolant and distilled water and new thermostat.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If you live near a John deere dealer you might want to consider Coolguard II.
The stuff is claimed to be superior in diesel engines (gas for that matter also).
Harmless to aluminum, copper, solder, brass, iron and gaskets. I have run it in everything i needed to flush the system on without issue for years and Coolguard I before it. Great stuff!

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/45190_ fb_lc_range_coolgard_II.htm

X2. CGII has anti-cavitation additives...it's meant for diesels.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Trav
If you live near a John deere dealer you might want to consider Coolguard II.
The stuff is claimed to be superior in diesel engines (gas for that matter also).
Harmless to aluminum, copper, solder, brass, iron and gaskets. I have run it in everything i needed to flush the system on without issue for years and Coolguard I before it. Great stuff!

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/45190_ fb_lc_range_coolgard_II.htm

X2. CGII has anti-cavitation additives...it's meant for diesels.

I thought cavitation issues only happened to diesels with wet liners, not parent-bore engines like the one in his car.

Anyway, I would be using G-05 since that would be the same chemistry as OEM, and a 1980s Benz properly maintained will last for ages.

I don't mind using g-05 i just was looking for something different that would not affect the gaskets.

I contacted prima brands and this is what they said.

2301F (or HD Extended Life) contains both 2-EHA and Sebacate. It is a full organic coolant.

2201F (or HD PreCharged) does not contain 2-EHA or Sebacate. It is an Inorganic coolant with SCA added for HD applications.

I think i am going to go with their hd precharged coolant. Their should be no compatibility issues and no adding sca/dca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back