A Question For Diesel Mechanics On ELC Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ELC diesel coolants are essentially the same thing as GM's Dex-Cool being that they are OAT, use 2-EHA, etc.

Have you seen the sludge, slim, mud, corrosion, or gasket issues experienced by many GM owners in the diesels you have worked on?

I was reading this document in regards to Cat's ELC...

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/87058/7/elcfaq.pdf

I was actually kind of surprised gelling was not an issue and that SCA is not needed. Once either 3 years or 3,000 hours or 300K miles are hit (whichever comes first), all that needs to be added is an extender to get another 3 years or 3,000 hours or 300K miles (whichever comes first).

On a side note, John Deere's Cool-Gard will go 5 years or 5,000 hours whichever comes first and Cool-Gard II will go 6 years or 6,000 hours whichever comes first. Mileage is not used. Both at HD HOAT coolants using silicates.

All figures assume no contamination.

Alot of the sludge found in GM vehicles is due to the additive pill they put in them and the 2EHA. I always use final charge and have never had a gelling,clogging, or any issues.

Last edited:
While I'm no fan of Dexcool in automotive applications, I will admit that with the exception of head gasket seals on one specific Cummins engine (an issue that was addressed years ago), Dexcool and assorted ELC coolants seem to do very well in diesel applications. I have seen the occasional problem with it, but probably LESS often than with more 'conventional' SCA coolants. In Cummins, Mercedes, or Detroit diesel engines, I've rarely run across that nasty, sticky, mud-colored sludge that I've COMMONLY seen in automotive applications.

So while it wouldn't be MY first choice, I think it'll work ok for you.

I'm partial to the John Deere Coolgard that you mentioned. It's a G05 coolant, and IMO the closest to a true 'universal' coolant that you're going to find. That said, John Deere Coolgard has been superceded by "Coolgard II". I don't know many specifics except that it's silicate-free, and therefore is NOT a G05 coolant. Deere speaks highly of it, and in general I trust their technical info over most other manufacturers... but I don't have any direct experience with the stuff.

Originally Posted By: onion

That said, John Deere Coolgard has been superceded by "Coolgard II". I don't know many specifics except that it's silicate-free, and therefore is NOT a G05 coolant. Deere speaks highly of it, and in general I trust their technical info over most other manufacturers... but I don't have any direct experience with the stuff.

Onion, do you know for sure that Cool Gard II is silicate-free? The information I got on it, not from JD, confirm that it has silicate. The next question is why JD did not want to reply when I had a German "JD aftermarket manager" to inquire about CG-II, asking whether it had silicate and borate. The guy told me that JD is not getting back to him and that was several months ago, so I doubt they want me to buy their coolant!

All I can tell you is that John Deere's website says that Coolgard II is silicate free- there was a link posted recently on one of these coolant threads. If they're contradicting this elsewhere, then I have no way of knowing which is true.

Personally, I've usually been impressed with Deere products (with a couple of notable exceptions). And based on my experience with the company, I would be willing to try Coolgard II in my own equipment. But I have no direct experience with the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back