Help with A/C issue not working.

Mine was showing 4kohm resistance after shooting out smoke and crackling..

All fixed replacement motor #3 was the winner.

Not a hvac guy but even an honest one who would have just fixed what was wrong would have probably ran me over $1000+
a non-honest one would sell me a new unit.

My cost besides my time was about $200
My post about oiling the motor was just for general knowledge . Not saying that it was relevant to your situation specifically .

So updating.. used AC for the first real time since it was fixed..
worked fine.. few hours later I'm grilling and hear this horrendous buzzing/humming noise...
got nervous for a second..

Did a little troubleshooting.. new contactor went bad.
of course I cant get a warranty replacement but a new one is 15-35$ so bleh.

So 3 fan motors and now second contactor.. makes me have flashback to replacing an alternator with reman from autozone :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
So updating.. used AC for the first real time since it was fixed..
worked fine.. few hours later I'm grilling and hear this horrendous buzzing/humming noise...
got nervous for a second..

Did a little troubleshooting.. new contactor went bad.
of course I cant get a warranty replacement but a new one is 15-35$ so bleh.

So 3 fan motors and now second contactor.. makes me have flashback to replacing an alternator with reman from autozone :ROFLMAO:

what the heck is going on?! wow.. that sucks, is carrier quality THAT bad??

Background:
Woke up this morning at 2am to 75f in the house and it was set for 73.
Checked the thermostat and it said it was running for 13 hours yesterday typical is 4 hours.
checked outside no activity.

Went to work, returned home.

Checked breaker. it was popped.
reset breaker and went outside.
turning on AC (from phone app) resulted in a popping noise after .5s and breaker was also popped again.

Attempted diagnostics.
The cap appeared to not be functional. I used a meter on it but the meter is confusing chinese poo brand. not 100% sure it was on right setting.

Replaced the capacitor.. 13.50 at granger.
Cycled the A/C on while standing outside.
now the breaker doesnt pop
but nothing happens outside either. very faint humming probably the contactor.
I did triple check the wires are on right HERM, C and Fan and they were never incorrectly connected.

What's my next step?
Edit:
Additonal info
Carrier A/C Age aprox 11 years.

I am not opposed to calling a pro... but want to try any easy stuff first.. before forking out the 500$ if its 50 in parts.
View attachment 181911
Contactor. Second I'd replace the batteries in your thermostat. I've seen weird A/C, and heat isues due to bad batteries. Third, is the unit fairly new or older? Is it possible that you are low on refrigerant.

Contactor. Second I'd replace the batteries in your thermostat. I've seen weird A/C, and heat isues due to bad batteries. Third, is the unit fairly new or older? Is it possible that you are low on refrigerant.
Might want to read the whole thread before replying with obsolete information.

what the heck is going on?! wow.. that sucks, is carrier quality THAT bad??
No it was aftermarket parts.
First replacement fan motor had burnt wiring
Second was dropped before I got it and had damaged bearings, 3rd is fine

1st replacement contactor defective. Trying 2nd today.

Not carrier parts. Unit is 11-12 yr old

No it was aftermarket parts.
First replacement fan motor had burnt wiring
Second was dropped before I got it and had damaged bearings, 3rd is fine

1st replacement contactor defective. Trying 2nd today.

Not carrier parts. Unit is 11-12 yr old
ahh ok, thanks for filling in that info.. is the 2nd contactor a no-name brand or carrier?

I don't like those single pole 240v contactors. They leave one leg hot to the motor or whatever. A good industrial two pole one will last a lifetime.

I don't like those single pole 240v contactors. They leave one leg hot to the motor or whatever. A good industrial two pole one will last a lifetime.
I'd agree except its how mine was wired I'm not going to rethink the wiring diagram.. it works now... it works.
I'd have to rewire it. ie they had a yellow wire on the bottom etc etc.
This is how mine was wired from the org. installer. I took about 10 pics before I touched it every time.
I did clip off those ring terminals on the top wires.
1714418606863.jpg

Even the "carrier brand" org. contactor wasn't carrier brand.
the first replacement was packard which isnt yingledang brand from china exactly.

Grainger wanted over 70$ for another no name model "carrier compatible"

Top 2 models on amazon were yangwoo and "protactor" The protactor was 20$ and seemed slightly better quality for $20
so that is what I went with.. working fine so far.

Back