Help with a Belt Decision

There's also that concept that manufacturers produce parts to one standard(better?) for OEM labeled parts and a different standard for aftermarket parts. So, a Gates OEM labeled belt might not be the same as the Gates labeled aftermarket part. Others have given examples of this in the past (in general, not Gates specifically). I.E., OEM factory Ford Motorcraft oil filters used to be made by Champion while at the same time aftermarket Ford Motorcraft oil filters were made by Purolator. For my Patriot, the OEM factory installed Akebono brake pads are completely different vs. the aftermarket Akebono pads.

Tough for us to know if Gates, Bando, Continental products are like this.

I tend to believe there is one production line and the labelling is different. :)

What's the appeal of the Gatorback style belt? I think I read that it's supposed to be quieter and more tolerant of misaligned pulleys. If A regular belt works properly, why use a Gatorback? They literally have pieces missing. Less belt in contact with the pulley. Wouldn't this mean faster wear and reduced ability to convey power from one pulley to the next?

What's the appeal of the Gatorback style belt? I think I read that it's supposed to be quieter and more tolerant of misaligned pulleys. If A regular belt works properly, why use a Gatorback? They literally have pieces missing. Less belt in contact with the pulley. Wouldn't this mean faster wear and reduced ability to convey power from one pulley to the next?
You answered your own question. These belts are a great alternative to a small pully misalignment. Had a Dodge ram that I couldn't get perfectly aligned, so I bought this style and fixed the noise issue for a number of years now. If you don't have this issue, use whatever belt you want. But really there is nothing wrong at all with it's longevity, mine is still going strong and doesnt slip at all.

Should I be more picky about belts if it's a stretch belt, or will a Dayco / Gates / Continental / Bando be fine?

Recent experiences I've had with belts.

Dayco - chirped on one vehicle. Original belt did not.
Gates - belt shredded shortly after putting it on one vehicle, and it destroyed a crank pulley seal in the process. Annoying repair.
Bando - has worked great on a vehicle I tried it on. cheapest option, too. Vehicle it was installed on is a Ford.
Continental -- I haven't tried this. But I've heard good things about their quality.

What's the appeal of the Gatorback style belt?
The Backing itself is supposed to have more friction for pulleys driven off the back of the belt - or so called "flat pulleys". The two Nissan's in my signature actually drive the clutch fan itself off the back of the belt, and I have never had an issue or squeak out of a Bando belt on either, which is the only belt I will use anymore. As mentioned, there usually the cheapest as well.

I often watch Pine Hollow Diagnostic videos and they recently made an interesting discovery regarding Gates belt/tensioner kits.

The owner of the shop wanted to use the best "made in Japan" components to install on a Subaru. He ordered a Gates kit that was supposedly made in Japan. The box the parts arrived in clearly stated each component was made in Japan. Upon opening the box and examining each part, he found about half of the parts were made in China. He called the vendor, Rock Auto, and Gates about this problem. Both customer service lines would not take any responsibility for this.

Is Gates the OEM for this part?

For old cars sometimes the OEM moves production.

I've always used Goodyear Gatorback belts with zero problems, until they decided to discontinue them. Now, it's either Bando, Mitsuboshi or SUN (Ushio).

I didn't specify MY application.
Why would we be talking about your application when you are not the poster and we have no idea what vehicle you have? You also listed Bando as an option in a previous post about stretch belts with no additional information.

The only issue I have had with belts is when you look at different manufacturers they sometimes specify different length belts for the same application. My guess is that one of them doesn't want to make a belt that's 1/4" longer (or shorter) for your application and is recommending their close enough (in their opinion) belt.

Why would we be talking about your application when you are not the poster and we have no idea what vehicle you have? You also listed Bando as an option in a previous post about stretch belts with no additional information.
Bando makes a serpentine belt for this application, but not a stretch belt for a 2011 Ford Edge with the 3.5L engine.

I have luck with Gates and Bando. Bando does make Ford’s belts, the Toyota OE Bando/Mitsuboshi will be different than their aftermarket line.

Back