Help Using Volt-Ohm Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was checking the coils on my 97 Avalon today with a digital volt-ohm meter, and I checked two coils and the resistantce was 122.8 for both coils, warm. How can this be posible. The coil resistance listed as per Toyota's manual is from .68-.980 ohms. I do not think I am reading this meter correctly. It is a regular radio shack meter, I set the dial to ohms and hooked them up...I have no idea what the problem could be. I was doing all this to day to investigate the P1300 DTC.

122.8ohms section is your primary (HV side), 0.68~0.98ohms section is your secondary side where spark plugs connect.

Check the readings again.

Q.

It says that .68 to .980 is the "primary coil resistance (hot)" The system I have is a waste-spark system if that makes any difference to you guys. I checked the primary coil it has the big electronic box on the coil.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
It says that .68 to .980 is the "primary coil resistance (hot)" The system I have is a waste-spark system if that makes any difference to you guys. I checked the primary coil it has the big electronic box on the coil.

Sorry, you are right (I was out of caffine all day).

you are correct (what was I thinking., sheesh!). 0.68~0.98ohms should be primary section (12V end), and the higher ohms section (122ohms yours read?) is where the spark plug connects.

Q.

Yep. The lower resistance will be on the 12V powered side of the coil. The high voltage side will have a MUCH higher resistance.

The coils checked out fine...I wonder whats with the CEL. I pulled a few plugs, they look BRAND NEW they are double platinum NGKs with 90k miles on them, I think they will probably out last the car. Anyway, coils and plugs look good, igniter is very new..I wonder whats causing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back