2000 Sebring 2.5L stumbles on acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Sebring Convertible, 2.5L, 147000 mi.
1. Does NOT miss or stumble at COLD start-up and while engine is warming up.
2. Engine hot (normal) - misses and stalls at initial start/acceleration and low rpm’s
3. No missing or stalling above 1500 rpm (put foot on brake and hold idle at 1200-1500, no stumble/stall when moving off from stop light.
Things I’ve done: (using volt/ohm meter)
1. Determined erratic resistance on TPS between pin 2&3, “closed” end of range. Resistance between pins 1 & 3 = 5310 ohms. Replaced TPS with after mkt. part. Now measure 5545 ohms between pin1&3 on the new one. With ignition on (not running), between center pin 2 and air intake housing, measured 0.68v fully closed and 3.68v fully opened.
2. Replaced IAC
3. Checked MAP: Ignition on, 4.9V pin2 to ground, 4.3v pin 1 to pin 3. Looked into sensor opening but could not tell anything – don’t know what it looks like new. I did not clean.
4. Checked IAT: Visual, cleaned with solvent, ignition on, 4.86v across pins (wires), cold.
5. Listened for vac. leaks. Found one at fuel tank vapor inlet to throttle body and repaired.
6. Visually followed wiring harnesses. No unusual wear points or loose connections. Have not done any continuity checks.
7. Checked distributor cap and rotor (new 40000 miles ago) – looked OK.
8. Took off EGR valve. Sucked on diaphragm hose and it seemed to open/close freely. No crud build-up on the pintel or seat. Cleaned both. Hosed with WD-40. I don’t know about the “modulator”(?) unit up stream of the EGR.
9. Removed the battery ground for 5 min. to aid in re-learning.
10. Paid $80 for an analysis (supposedly same results that I would get at the dealer). The only diagnostic code was PO123 TPS sensor fault. So that’s why I replaced the TPS.
I’m still having the same problem. I thought maybe the after-market TPS part was faulty. But the voltage range and overall resistance seems to check out. Testing the “smoothness” of the resistance reading near the closed range is a little tricky with my ohm meter. So I’m guessing my new TPS is OK. ?? I plan to sell this car, but can’t until this stumble is fixed. Two days at the dealer will cost what the car is worth. So, do you have any DIY ideas?

Have you cleaned the throttle body and throttle plate? many times I have solved an off-idle stumble by cleaning those, plus the IAC (which I see you replaced). normally a bad IAC causes a bad idle, rough idle, or stalling.
also, its a stretch, but on that engine I believe you remove the intake to get to the plugs. have you checked the intake bolts for tightness. once again, probably not it.. but I thought i would mention

could be a bad aftermarket tps
I had a bad maf sensor on a customers car it had the same problems as you describe there was no check engine light on and no codes i replaced the maf sensor with a new one which turned out to be bad also but i managed to get another one and everything was ok...
map is Mass Air Flow sensor... Over the years i have gotten plenty of aftermarket maf sensors and about 30% of the time they have to be exchanged because they are bad also.. Let us know how you did

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

map is Mass Air Flow sensor...

ok, its late here, but I am confused: MAP is not = MAF. MAP measures the vacuum, MAF measure air flow.
so... "whatchu talkin 'bout Willis?"

I dont recall which one the Mitsu uses.

I also dont wanna talk about Chryslers and non-OEM sensors. I have 3 worthless Bosch O2 sensors that are new but wont work in my Intrepid. OEM works just fine. what am I supposed to do with the Bosch sensors. cant return them, they were used for 5 mins - until they threw a code.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
In NJ at auto zone you can return them within a year

long story: 2 years ao AZ gave me the downstream sensor when I really needed the upstream. of course, I did not notice the difference (the connector is only slightly different) until after I installed it. I have no clue why I didn't return it - but I did get an upstream sensor. bad on day one. replaced it and installed #2 the same day. still didn't work. got OEM. worked fine. just last week my downstream sensor went bad. Great! I already have one! which, gee... threw a code for low voltage. anyway. I have two worthless sensors and a bad taste for Bosch. other LH owners report the same findings. !?!?!?? although not all. I guess I just get lazy when it comes to returning things. want a couple of bosch O2 sensors?

I will check the intake manifold bolts. I replaced all plugs at about 100K miles. That's the last time I moved it.

This is probably my next move. Just hated to pay &30 - $40 more at the dealer for OEM. Paid $42 at Advance Auto Parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back