New stereo, options???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a GREAT deal of fun taking out the CDM box on my '93 GMC Sierra last night...NOT. But I got a chance to change out some burnt out light bulbs too. Anyway, no AM/FM. Hooked a wire from the antennae to my volt meter, to the end of the antennae plug back to the volt meter to check resistance. Got zelch, so the antennae wire and the connections are good. Question....does anybody know if I can swap out that CDM for a better one? One with some more juice or better quality? I want to keep it all factory and don't want to yank out the cassette, put a high dollar player in there and put a cup/box looking thing where the current radio controls are at. It's model 16147075. Has a bar code with 89ATUK on it. I also took out the front speakers to see what I got. Cheap-O deluxe, Delco, one cone. Does any one know any direct drop in replacement speakers that will fit into this hole with out doing modifications or change grills? I know it won't make a big difference, but some difference none the less.

[ October 28, 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

Nah, more likely none of us here have the answer. We have a bunch of good people here, but you may need to go to the stereo section of one of the more general Q&A sites.

Aftermarket speakers will make a huge difference in sound. Tweeters are a necessity for any stereo to sound good, so get a two way speaker. Single or dual cone speakers do not sound good.
You should have no problem finding speakers to fit directly in. Just take your old speakers to the stereo shops when you go looking. And listen to any speaker you plan on buying first, with the equalizer on the deck set to flat, using a CD you're familiar with, to ensure they actually sound good.
The mid-range sound quality of speakers is dependent on enclosures more than anything else. The doors are probably OK, but if the back ones are in a small entirely metal area (which they almost certainly are on a truck, and sheet steel has horrible acoustic properties), either disconnect them or build enclosures. You can do this with something like a yogurt container, duct tape, and some pillow stuffing (higher density is better). The bigger the enclosure, the better. You could also use 6x9's in boxes if you have the space.
Aftermarket stereo kits usually give you a clean, decent looking dash, and they're easy to install to the factory wiring with the proper wiring harness. The only problem is that people like to steal them, so if you go this route take the faceplate off at night or use a decent alarm. An aftermarket stereo will not give you much better sound unless you use an external amplifier.
If you want to keep it completely factory looking, find a used one at a wrecker. I don't think you'll find a direct replacement that's any better, or an aftermarket direct replacement.

[ October 28, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

Hi Schmoe:

I would recommend going to a list serve that covers your truck and see what other people with your truck or a similar vehicle are using.

Most GM factory installed speakers are junk - I understand that they cost GM about a buck a piece.

Speaker sizes are pretty standard: 6.5, 6X9, etc.
Just look up what size you have. Some top speaker brands are Boston Acoustics, MB Quart, JL Audio.
Alpine makes good head units - pretty jazzy looking too.

Also, the advice rpn453 gave you is excellent.

Do a google search on crutchfield - it will give you an idea of what is available, although their prices tend to be high.

Have Fun,
John

The best sound upgrade you can do is in the front speakers. You don't go to an orchestra and sit with your back to them, so why have the music behind you in the truck? Set the fade mostly forward and get good two-way speakers for the front. (use the rears for bass and "presence") I had to go to a higher crust store called "Tweeter" of all things to be able to actually listen to my own CD. Best Buy had "Best buy radio" which sounded terrible and made me leave. Anyway I got direct bolt-in boston acoustics speakers-- I did have to solder them but electrically it's better that way.

The factory head unit/amp is capable of much better than the speakers provided can recreate so unless you want CD, mp3, XM, etc., you can leave it alone for now.

You could pay $29,000 for a McIntosh. It comes w/ a free Subaru!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Sounds awesome too but the Lexus R330 I think it's called has a total Mark Levinson system and the best OEM car sound system yet according to all accounts

I'd like to hear that. I think all manufacturers should put more effort into their stereos. I'd have to add a real sub to those systems though.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back