Help please what oil bmw F16 X6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys new member here, so my maintenance warranty has just expired for my BMW 2015 F16 X6 35i xDrive. Now I plan on changing the oil myself with LL-01 but I am stuck on which oil to use. Car has a little over 25k miles now and it has been using the normal twinturbo 5w30 BMW oil during dealer visits under warranty. I reside in NYC and my commute to work recently got longer where It's about 70 miles a day 5 days a week (theres alot of local driving rather than freeway). Ive been hearing good reviews about Castrol 0w40 and Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w40 and they seemed to be price very reasonably here. I change my Oil about every 5,000 miles. A buddy of mine sold his X5 and actually just gave me a few leftover 5L Juggs of Castrol 0w40 european forumla. Over on the bimmer forums Ive noticed alot of people with older models use Castrol but the newer model members seem to be using oem BMW oil. Should I just stick with oem bmw? Is there a notable difference from Oem than castrol or Liqui? I've heard great things about this forum and would appreciate any suggestions and insight. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by AMGTHIS
Hey guys new member here, so my maintenance warranty has just expired for my BMW 2015 F16 X6 35i xDrive. Now I plan on changing the oil myself with LL-01 but I am stuck on which oil to use. Car has a little over 25k miles now and it has been using the normal twinturbo 5w30 BMW oil during dealer visits under warranty. I reside in NYC and my commute to work recently got longer where It's about 70 miles a day 5 days a week (theres alot of local driving rather than freeway). Ive been hearing good reviews about Castrol 0w40 and Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w40 and they seemed to be price very reasonably here. I change my Oil about every 5,000 miles. A buddy of mine sold his X5 and actually just gave me a few leftover 5L Juggs of Castrol 0w40 european forumla. Over on the bimmer forums Ive noticed alot of people with older models use Castrol but the newer model members seem to be using oem BMW oil. Should I just stick with oem bmw? Is there a notable difference from Oem than castrol or Liqui? I've heard great things about this forum and would appreciate any suggestions and insight. Thanks!!

Any oil that carries actual Longlife-01 approval is comparable to any other. There is no way to distinguish a meaningful difference between the brands you list, if anyone says they can they are making it up. Castrol 0W-40 available at Walmart for $25 is a steal for one of the best motor oils on the market.

Liqui Moly gets you a cooler looking container to impress your friends, but that's it.

You can't beat the price you can often get the Castrol 0w-40 for, so my nod is to that product as well.

Over on the bimmer forums Ive noticed alot of people with older models use Castrol but the newer model members seem to be using oem BMW oil.

Many of the "older" BMW's came with an oil filler cap that said "BMW recommends Castrol", probably why the older vehicle owners seem to prefer Castrol.
smile.gif

BMW changed factory fill brand to Shell back in 2015. Likely why the newer vehicle owners prefer the Shell / Pennzoil or BMW oils.

You will not likely see any difference in one LL-01 oil over another.

Use the 0w-40 Castrol with confidence.

If you search back about 10 years here you will find many posts about GC (German Castrol oil) 0w-30, and BC (Belgian Castrol) 5w-40,
some of it was even green color.
smile.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718643

Thanks for all the detailed feedback guys much appreciated!! So it looks like I'll go with you guys and try Castrol 0w40 . Hmmm also been doing some research on the forums lately and found couple of threads on how castrol for some people caused increased varnish.. is this 0w40 european formula related? Thanks

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
You can't beat the price you can often get the Castrol 0w-40 for, so my nod is to that product as well.

Agreed.

Castrol 0W40. Available in local Wal Mart at $27 for 5qt. Best bang (and there is a lot of bang) for a buck.

Thanks for all the detailed feedback guys much appreciated!! So it looks like I'll go with you guys and try Castrol 0w40 . Hmmm also been doing some research on the forums lately and found couple of threads on how castrol for some people caused increased varnish.. is this 0w40 european formula related? Thanks

I wouldn't read too much into old anecdotal evidence. Formulations change constantly. Those people were probably referring to the old BMW branded Castrol before BMW switched to Shell as their supplier. That oil was very different from today's Castrol 0W-40.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

I wouldn't read too much into old anecdotal evidence. Formulations change constantly. Those people were probably referring to the old BMW branded Castrol before BMW switched to Shell as their supplier. That oil was very different from today's Castrol 0W-40.

Thanks for clarifying that
smile.gif

Originally Posted by edyvw

Castrol 0W40. Available in local Wal Mart at $27 for 5qt. Best bang (and there is a lot of bang) for a buck.

Good thing my friend gave me a few juggs
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back