Help picking oil for 900whp Audi TTRS

I have a 2018 Audi TTRS that makes about 900whp. I only drive it about 1,000 miles a year, but it gets driven very hard when I do drive it. I do a lot of 60-130 and 1/4 stuff as well as spirited street driving. I don't really care about long OCI's the oil will be changed at least every year and less than 1,000 miles. I don't do any road racing with this car.

I only use E85 fuel and my main objective is to use an oil that can hold up with fuel dilution and protect the engine. I run a billet oil pan spacer and billet oil pickup tube. This allows me to run 10 quarts of oil vs. the normal 7 quarts that would typically be the quantity for this car.

Price isn't a big concern.

I have mostly been running Motul 5W-40, but I have also ran Liqui Moly Synthoil Energy 0W40. Unfortunately, I don't have any UOA's but I am interesting in hearing about what oil's I should consider.

Geez 900whp coming out of a puny 2.5l to Audi TT wheels? It takes some balls to floor it cause I'd struggle to. I hope that transmission survives. But e85 can be rough on oil and 1k a year isn't much but yearly changes is as far as I'd go. I'd probably use something cheaper but still great like m1 0w-40 and change it twice a year. Service the trans too. But geez I hope that 4 banger lives.

I would use the Mobil 1 suggested. You don't want to use a oil with a lot of ester in a car on e85 as it attracts moisture. The mobil will likely have less than Motul and should do the job well. Try and change once every 6 months no matter what the kms you don't want any moisture/water getting in there.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1672386841601.jpg
    FB_IMG_1672386841601.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Screenshot_20221230-022620_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20221230-022620_dragy.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Screenshot_20221230-020049_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20221230-020049_dragy.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20221230-015941_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20221230-015941_dragy.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20221230-020415_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20221230-020415_dragy.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 117
Geez 900whp coming out of a puny 2.5l to Audi TT wheels? It takes some balls to floor it cause I'd struggle to. I hope that transmission survives. But e85 can be rough on oil and 1k a year isn't much but yearly changes is as far as I'd go. I'd probably use something cheaper but still great like m1 0w-40 and change it twice a year. Service the trans too. But geez I hope that 4 banger lives.
This car is a 5 cylinder that is built with forged pistons and rods. The DSG transmission is very stout and it can take more abuse than what i am doing. They usually never fail. All that is needed to make them perform at this level is clutches. Looks like the consensus is M1 0w40. Thanks

This car is a 5 cylinder that is built with forged pistons and rods. The DSG transmission is very stout and it can take more abuse than what i am doing. They usually never fail. All that is needed to make them perform at this level is clutches. Looks like the consensus is M1 0w40. Thanks
MOFT will be king no matter how you slice it.

Modification of this engine and general drivetrain platform is common and well documented, people regularly push these to big HP numbers without problems.

I would use the Mobil 1 suggested. You don't want to use a oil with a lot of ester in a car on e85 as it attracts moisture. The mobil will likely have less than Motul and should do the job well. Try and change once every 6 months no matter what the kms you don't want any moisture/water getting in there.

It’s probably not fair to lump esters all together under that statement. It really depends on the ester. There are some as you describe and then there are others that are very hydroliticly stable. As with many things the correct choices yield good results.

I have a 2018 Audi TTRS that makes about 900whp. I only drive it about 1,000 miles a year, but it gets driven very hard when I do drive it. I do a lot of 60-130 and 1/4 stuff as well as spirited street driving. I don't really care about long OCI's the oil will be changed at least every year and less than 1,000 miles. I don't do any road racing with this car.

I only use E85 fuel and my main objective is to use an oil that can hold up with fuel dilution and protect the engine. I run a billet oil pan spacer and billet oil pickup tube. This allows me to run 10 quarts of oil vs. the normal 7 quarts that would typically be the quantity for this car.

Price isn't a big concern.

I have mostly been running Motul 5W-40, but I have also ran Liqui Moly Synthoil Energy 0W40. Unfortunately, I don't have any UOA's but I am interesting in hearing about what oil's I should consider.

How much does this car weigh? Power to Weight ratio is on my mind?

This is a 1000 horsepower engine at the Crank?

How much does this car weigh? Power to Weight ratio is on my mind?

This is a 1000 horsepower engine at the Crank?
Car weighs approximately 3,100lbs. Yes, probably 1000hp at the crank +/-.

I haven't had this setup on the dyno, but I am very familiar with the platform and what hp they make with this Xona 8264s turbo.

Tuned E85 cars usually show poor oil analysis due to people running it too long, I would sample it early on to see how its doing. I know others have mentioned changing it sooner but sampling and sending it for an analysis will help provide some data.

The TTRS has the 2.5 L 5 cylinder engine in it.

The TTRS has the 2.5 L 5 cylinder engine in it.
Yes it's a 5 cyl but I accidentally put 4 banger in. I'm used to typing that in as 5's are even rarer than before and 4's are super common in big or small vehicles but I still remembered Audi making them in some models. They sound nice and I love that larger displacement inline engines are making a resurgence as Mercedes and Chrysler are moving to inline 6's from v6's. Yeah I love v8's but I'm starting to grow into more powerful and more efficient inline 6's as long as reliability isn't hurt.

Car weighs approximately 3,100lbs. Yes, probably 1000hp at the crank +/-.

I haven't had this setup on the dyno, but I am very familiar with the platform and what hp they make with this Xona 8264s turbo.

Do you have an Oil Accumulator on this car?

You don't need consensus. You need data. You should UOA to see how much fuel and water are ending up in the oil at the end of 1000 miles. Consider even a dipstick sample at 500 miles, or ASAP. And oil recommendation is foolish without seeing what is going on with the oil, especially with excessive mods/tuning/fuel/hp changings.

The additional sump makes up for some imperfections in oil choices as does a pretty good control of oil temps. I'd still want motor oil film thickness in an overly stressed engine. My vote is for Mobil1 15w50 until there is data collected on what happens to the oil in 1000 miles/year of driving.

I'd also use a well flowing filter like the Wix XP or Purolator Boss

Back