Help: Moving across the country -please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG friends!

I am moving from Pittsburgh PA to Sacramento California ~2500 miles
AND I am undecided on HOW to move across the country...
I am starting to go crazy thinking of the possibilities-

Here is the set up:
Should I sell my car or drive it across the country (with whatever I can fit inside)?
Should I actually bite the bullet and rent a moving truck?
Should I just sell EVERYTHING and get a plane ticket (for myself and dog?) and mail my important items via fed ex or UPS

I do NOT own anything LARGE I am particularity attached to- Aside from a table built by my grandfather that will be stored at my parents house in NY.
I do have tools, clothing and electronics, pots pans, that need to move with me but BIG BIG stuff, like a couch, bed and furniture will be sold.

I don't think all my belongings + dog will all fit in the accord.

Which way is the most cost effective?

The thought of 2500 miles across the country sounds scary, fun and efficient and terribly inefficient at the same time.

The car is older but in very nice shape- (2001 Accord ex with 145K)
I just replaced the clutch OEM
Front end bushings ball joints control arms
Spark plugs, filters etc
water pump and timing belt done at 100K
No check engine lights or pressing issues other than a tiny leak from the power steering pump.

I am not attached to the car though, and I usually buy/sell my cars out of boredom. So buying a car when I get there might not be overwhelming and difficult (At least I don't think it would be...?)

Anyone who has moved long distance please chime in with advise and things you would have done differently !!

Last edited:
I moved into my first apartment with my mazda 323! I bought a mattress/ box spring when I got into town (the $99 special) and roped that to my roof. I got a pressboard computer desk from walmart and assembled with the included "tools". Same with a chair from staples, and shelves from Home Depot. TV from goodwill. When I moved I basically brought my clothes and computer.

Can you put on a trailer hitch and tow a $160 harbor freight trailer? You can get a huge "snail" rooftop cargo container on craigslist for free or next to it and bolt this thing to the HF frame. Sell the mess when you get there.

Sell everything. Rent a car a drive across the country with the dog. The memories will last a lifetime. Spend as much time as you can seeing every monument between point a and point b.

Buy a car in California with CARB emissions.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Sell everything. Rent a car a drive across the country with the dog. The memories will last a lifetime. Spend as much time as you can seeing every monument between point a and point b.

Buy a car in California with CARB emissions.

+1

Buy a car that's CARB compliant when you get to CA. Rent a Grand Caravan to have enough space for your dog and your stuff, and enjoy the trip!

I'd get a 17' U-Haul, and a car dolly and tow it across the USA.
Definetely see the sights along the way.

Your car has to have its emission parts on it and be smogged as a federal car.

Price the truck out and go from there. See if your belonging are worth that much to you + gas for a 16 foot truck @ 12 mpg.

There was a thread a while back about renting a moving truck, probably some good advice throughout the thread. I know I wrote up a lot of factoids from a previous job I had.
smile.gif
Good luck.

Moving Truck. Should I go Diesel or Gas?

I moved from Atlanta to Cleveland.
From Cleveland to Los Angeles.
From Los Angeles to Atlanta.
From Atlanta to Los Angeles.

The first true x-country trip from Cleveland to LA was awesome. Of course my company paid for the move....I still drove. I HIGHLY recommend it. If you can fit things in the car....great. If not....rent a truck and a dolly for the back I did that once (it scared the [censored] out of me for the first 150 miles...then I forgot about it).

Moving x-country is one of those things you need to do. Just do it. Drive. Pick a route and some sites to see / stops. It's worth it. Don't rush.

A truck with trailer to pull the car can get expensive... Even if you use a dolly instead of a flatbed. So you need to identify what you really need/want to bring with you. It will be easier to move this stuff this time than in the future when logistics dictates flying. I'll bet your car could pull a small trailer, so you might consider that as well.

I vote for driving either by uhaul or car. If you have a bunch of stuff that's too much for the car to hold, and think you'll replace the car anyway, you can look into an SUV or minivan rental one-way, which might be cheaper than a truck, and burn a lot less gas. I'd rent from a non-airport location though to Dacron surcharges, fees and taxes.

Originally Posted By: EricF
I'd get a 17' U-Haul, and a car dolly and tow it across the USA.
Definetely see the sights along the way.

Your car has to have its emission parts on it and be smogged as a federal car.

x2

But, I'd get a smaller truck. If you are set on selling the sofa and such, just get a 10' truck. But if you are flexible, get a 14', and take it all. I know people who sell everything, and then when they get in the new place they are overwhelmed with having to buy all new.

If you like your car, get a trailer and pull it behind the truck. Super easy. Then, you can pack some belongings in the car also. Keep in mind that if you sell your car and move without it, it may put you where you feel you have to buy a car in CA, and you may not get to shop at leisure because you feel like you need to get a set of wheels.

I'd either rent a small trailer you could pull behind your car or sell your car and rent a van. BUT, you'd have to find a replacement vehicle once in Calif., and if there's urgency, you may not get what you want and who knows the history/problems of your new car? It sounds like you have a good car and will serve you very well for many more yrs. I'd personally forget renting a truck and pulling your car behind. Costs $$$ and it's a long drive alone. I hope everything works out OK! I left Calif. 13 yrs ago and I really, really miss the great Mexican food!Safe trip. Bill

NeedsDuckTape

I've moved cross country a few times and hear are my thoughts:

Get a quote for both a small moving truck and movers.

For a moving truck, only use Penske. They by far have the nicest, newest trucks in their fleet and the further you move they will try to give you a newer truck. Rent the full car trailer, not the dolly. Also, buy a bottle of Rain-X and apply it to the windshield before you leave. You do not want to be caught in some midwest thunderstorm, hauling your stuff, and you can't see. Expect to get 8-10 mpg from the truck. AAA and online resevation will save you 12% or so.

When you look at movers, be extremely careful. There are a ton of scammers out there which is unfortunate. Lots of research and references is neccessary. If they are great movers, it will be the best experience you have. If not, your stuff will be held hostage and you probably will have no idea where it is or when you'll get it. Plus you'll be shaken down for extra money.

That's all for now...

My fiance's sister moved to L.A. from Virginia by packing her car full of her possensions and having the car shipped cross country while she took a plane.

Definitely not the most fun, but probably the most hassle-free way to do it.

I highly doubt a 2001 Accord is going to have to have any work done to the emissions system to pass CA smog.

Vehicle registration in California is figured out by the value of the car. So having something older which is reliable is a $$ saver. Rego fees are steep. They say you have something like 10 days to change over the rego after arrival. If you get away with it for longer, good for you, but they will get you. DMV will want to know the first date your vehicle was driven on CA roads and back date your rego to then.

I would not want to have to move, then when getting to the destination, add to the stress by needing to look for a vehicle.

I'd keep the Accord, fill with just enough stuff so that you can still lay the drivers or passenger seat flat, sell/store the rest, and take the scenic route, and your time. On arrival you will have your own vehicle to help you find a residence.

You can also have a shipping crate made up, pack it and have it picked up and delivered once you have established yourself in CA.

I would not tow anything, as that gets to be a PITA when trying to sightsee, or maneuver in a busy gas station, or just park.

Travel light and consider the possibility you will not like living in California, its system or its people. Many many who move out here, move back after a few seasons.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
two reasons to stay in P.A. your parents in NY and your accord (passing California inspection will be costly)

when I first moved to CA....I had my car shipped. Those terrorist creeps at the People's Republic of Calitaxutodeath border drained ALL of the "freon" from my A/C. Yep...it took me a while to figure it out. I turned on my a/c and it blew hot.

California isn't the worst place to live in the USA....but it's in the top 10. (NJ is clearly the worst).

Movers are probably the most expensive. If you don't have any big furniture, I'd just say drive the car. Bring all the stuff you'd need right away and ship the stuff that you don't. You can get pretty low rates just shipping via Greyhound, you just pick you stuff up at the bus terminal. I think busfreighter quotes about $68 to send a 100 pound package station to station.

12 mpg ( x 2500 miles) and a truck is starting to look like a a bad idea from a cost perspective.

@ 3.50 + per gallon....
+ cost of truck x days

I'm thinking I could just buy a new bed, couch etc...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Movers are probably the most expensive. If you don't have any big furniture, I'd just say drive the car. Bring all the stuff you'd need right away and ship the stuff that you don't. You can get pretty low rates just shipping via Greyhound, you just pick you stuff up at the bus terminal. I think busfreighter quotes about $68 to send a 100 pound package station to station.

Amazing! I never knew Greyhound did this !

Another question:

How many days to break up the drive and WHERE to stay ? Motels, random people from craigslsit? It could add up quickly cost wise

I moved from:

Pittsburgh to Las Vegas in 2009
Las Vegas to Pittsburgh in 2012
Pittsburgh to Phoenix in 2013

My advice is sell everything! Whatever it costs to U-Haul, ship in a POD or hire movers is not worth it. I also found that if I had shipped my furniture, most of it wouldn't of worked in the new place. I also was able to sell cars on the first two moves without losing much, but this last time I ended up driving, took 4 days. Ikea, Costco and Target are your friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back