Help me with my 6spd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
next time you frequent a fast food joint, keep the straw...
grin.gif

Car: Nissan Sentra
Model: SER Spec-V
Fluid Currently: MTL-P Specialty Formulations
Auto-RX history : TWICE
Viscosity Required: 75w-85

Ok, so my Manual Transmission shifts really well, but I’m always looking for improvement where improvement is possible. Every once in awhile I'll get a rough shift while very cold. Even with MTL-P, im wondering if there is anything else I can do to get my transmission to shift smoother.

Also how do you guys with manuals get the majority of the fluid out of the transmission? I've heard of people using special vacuums, or even jacking up a side of the car so more fluid escapes though the drain plug.

What do you guys do?

Vspec:

I've used a small, manual push pump that came with a gallon of oil additive I used to use (after having cleaned the pump first, of course).

I think you can buy these or similar pumps new at auto parts stores (or maybe hardware stores, too) and with an 8 or 10 inch flexible, surgical-like tubing that will fit into your manual tranny fill hole. That arrangement has worked pretty well for me.

I'm surprised others haven't chimed in here with suggestions and ideas. ??????

Good luck

"Any other tips?"

No, other than you'll need a bucket or gallon or more jug in which to pump the old tranny fluid. Then pump the new fluid into the tranny.

I asked my neighbor to help hold steady either the dump pan and/or the jug of new stuff during the process. The space can get tight under your rig, and adjusting your own body to the various positions necessary to accomplish the task could upset your pan or jug.

I've successfully done the process by myself, but an extra hand is helpful because the pump and the tube and the pan/jug can all be a little unwieldy. However, it is doable by yourself if you don't have a helping hand.
cheers.gif

Bob A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back