Help me simplify my life. Need to consolidate my oil needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, it's one of my New Year's resolutions.
smile.gif

Here's my stable:

2002 Acura MDX 19k
2000 Audi S4 117k
1999 VW Jetta 2.0 65k
1993 Isuzu Trooper 128k
2003 Kubota BX22 Diesel tractor 400 hrs.

I'm currently using a different oil for each car and while that my produce optimum results, it's just a PITA stocking all the different oils. How about I go with Amsoil 0W30 or GC in the Audi and Acura and then use Delo 400 or Delvac 1300 15w40 in everything else? Would the 15w40 be to thick in PA winters?

Happy New Year!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by PaJohn:
I'm currently using a different oil for each car and while that my produce optimum results, it's just a PITA stocking all the different oils.

I'd go find one oil for ALL of them. If not then All but the tractor. Use one oil or one brand...
grin.gif

The 15W sounds way too thick unless the Jetta and Izusu owners manual calls for such tar. I think the 0W-30 would be much better for them on cold starts. The Kuboda is another matter. If you are plowing a large driveway with it, better stick to what its owners' manual says. If the 0W-30 is too thin for it in the cold, that still cuts it down to 2.

Sounds like Mobil 1 0w-40 for all. Great for the three new cars. Should also work for the Isuza and tractor. Maybe not diesel rated? I ran a non-rated oil in my diesels for many years. Castrol 20w-50 was used in my Mercedes and Webersteke Marine engine with great success.

My 2 choices would be

#1. Amsoil Series 3000 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil. This will cover all of your applications.

If you want to save a little money Amsoil AMO 10w40. This would also work in all the applications that you mentioned.

Both of those would work well in both summer and winter. Though if it were mine, I'd put a by-pass on the kubota, and run the Series 3000 5w30 Run all the others 10,000 to 15,000 mile drains. Be sure to do an engine flush in the high milage vehicles

PaJohn

With that big a fleet you could benefit from the free delevery offered with any Schaeffer's order over $250.00. That is just 8 cases of Schaeffer's Series 7000 oil. Plus you could get Tractor Hydro (THF) fluid for your tractor and some of the best grease made at the same time. Schaeffer's has two THFs one straight mineral and one a synthetic blend. They call it something like Torque Convertor Fluid.

This will simplify your your life by having just one supplier and give you the correct mixture weights ( 5w-30, 10w-30 and 15w-40) you need.

PM me and I'll gve you the name of a distributor that know his stuff or just call Tim 800-737-1747 he is a BITOG site supporter.

[ January 12, 2004, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Neil Womack ]

I think that the 15W is too thick. I would probably just go with two different oils of your choice. Maybe the Amsoil or GC for the first two and then just buy a bunch of bottles of 5W/30, 10W/30 Chevron Supreme and some Delo you could just mix and match. It wouldn't hurt if you mixed some Chevron and Delo depending on which containers got used up.

Personally though I probably would go with 5W-30 and/or 10W-30 Schaeffer's blend for all 4 cars and get the 15W-40 (Schaeffer's ) for the Tractor.

You could easily justify a order $250. For comparative purposes the Schaeffer's blend is about 3 bucks a bottle.

Hi PaJohn,

I'm trying to do the same thing, even though I've only got three cars. I want something cost-effective, but robust enough to withstand minimum 10k mile change intervals, 0°F startups (like we had last week) & 100°F summer traffic jams. They're all 2.0L 4 cyl gasoline engines with 4 qt sumps, & the newest one (a '99) is turbocharged.

If I were to use a single oil for all of 'em, I'd have to go with Mobil's Delvac 1 synthetic 5W-40 diesel oil. Unfortunately, I can't justify the "abuse-to-cost" ratio for the two older non-turbo cars, so instead I'm going to start using Shell's Rotella T Syn 5W-40 in them (less than 1/2 the price of D1). And since I can only get the D1 online (or drive 100 miles to get it from a truck stop), I've been using Mobil 1 0W-40 in the turbo.

Yeah, I know that means I'm not using my preferred oil in any of my vehicles, but life's funny like that. As a bonus, I can also use Rotella syn in the transmissions of both older cars.

Forget every other post and use some 5w-40 Belgium Syntec.Widely available now, it is rated against VW 505-specs, the TDI diesel specs so you know it will work perfectly in the S4 and Jetta 2.0 (an oil sucker), works on the diesel tractor and will keep the worn IZUSU engine rings compressing and seals conditioned in the sweetness of esters. The MDX might like it, keeping the internals clean and allowing long ocis. HS of 4.5 Also, any 15w is way too thick for the undersize oil cooler lines on the S4's K03 turbo. 1.8t's K03 has larger lines.

[ January 12, 2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

screw that. forget every other post and send me the audi. if you're feeling frisky you can send the acura as well.

fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
Forget every other post and use some 5w-40 Belgium Syntec.Widely available now, it is rated against VW 505-specs, the TDI diesel specs so you know it will work perfectly in the S4 and Jetta 2.0 (an oil sucker), works on the diesel tractor and will keep the worn IZUSU engine rings compressing and seals conditioned in the sweetness of esters. The MDX might like it, keeping the internals clean and allowing long ocis. HS of 4.5 Also, any 15w is way too thick for the undersize oil cooler lines on the S4's K03 turbo. 1.8t's K03 has larger lines.

I think the best choice would be to use Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 in everything. My second choice would be to go with TSoA's suggestion and use Castrol Syntec 5W-40 in everything. Another choice would be to use Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-40 in everything. I believe Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 is the better oil however it does cost significantly more than Castrol Syntec 5W-40 and Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0W-40.

All of these oil meet the ACEA A3/B3/B4 requirements so I imagine that they would work on the Kubota tractor if it is a few years old and does not require an API CI-4 or CH-4 oil. The Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 is also rated API CI-4 (for most new Diesels).

You will be able to only use just one or two oils instead of five
shocked.gif
like you are doing now.

[ January 13, 2004, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

quote:

The 15W sounds way too thick unless the Jetta and Izusu owners manual calls for such tar

No it isn't 15W isn't thick at all, it's probably fine for > -5 Celsius but you should look that up in the jetta manual.

I like this idea:
quote:

How about I go with Amsoil 0W30 or GC in the Audi and Acura and then use Delo 400 or Delvac 1300 15w40 in everything else?

I'd prefer 5-30 though. And you can mix in some of that thin synthetic into the 15-40 to thin it down when you change the oil in the fall or winter.

I would stick to what the makers call for. If you start throwing in different vicosities your asking for toruble.
I asked my mechanic about using differnet grades of oils other than what the manf. suggests. He said he has seen many cars screwed up becuase people play around with the oil grades.

quote:

I asked my mechanic about using differnet grades of oils other than what the manf. suggests. He said he has seen many cars screwed up becuase people play around with the oil grades.

Hmm, I bet your mechanic keeps at least 6 different oil grades in stock to keep every car that comes in happy. I bet he's not like my mechanic who offered me 20W-50 dino or 10W-30 dino as the more exotic alternative. And there was also a drum with mystery elixir out in the back...
tongue.gif

Mori
He said to stick to what the maker recommended, Of course he would have more than one grade of oil on hand becuase different cars require different oil types. He DID NOT SAY use only one type of oil period. Read the post before replying, it might make things easier.

quote:

Originally posted by goodoleboy:
Mori
He said to stick to what the maker recommended, Of course he would have more than one grade of oil on hand becuase different cars require different oil types. He DID NOT SAY use only one type of oil period. Read the post before replying, it might make things easier.

I understand that, and like I said the Amsoil Series 3000 5w30 would exceed the needs for all of the vhicles and equipment listed. The Amsoil 10w40 would be a second choice but also carries the diesel rating and would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back