Need oil for car with oil control ring issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Less than 0.5 quart per 4000 miles, not even close to an issue in my book.

Right. I'd start with either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. Maybe M1 5W-30 HM...

Originally Posted By: timeau
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
1) Is there a 5w-30 passenger oil that can give me the cleaning power of the HDEO?

No.
2) Or a different HDEO like a Rotella flavor with a more mpg friendly weight?

No. Forget about mpg: difference is miserable.
3) One of these in a syn or syn blend that makes sense to use now that it is not consuming oil?

Syn blend is OK. Pure synthetic are what I would avoid, except, may be, Mobil1 0W40 and Shell Rotella 5W40.
4) Stick w/15w-40 HDEO?

Good choice, IMO.

One more question: are you a fanatic believer? If not, put a quart of ATF for 400-500 miles trip and change the oil. If you was Europenian, I would advise you to drain oil-AFT mixture, prepare a 66%/34% of oil/diesel fuel mix and pour it into the sump. Then idle for 15 minutes, drain this cocktail and add new HDEO oil.

Ignore this whole post. Obviously this guy has never heard of a 0w-30 hdeo or 0w-40 hdeo which in my opinion would be ideal in that you get the detergency of an hdeo with the instant pumpability of a 0w.
Devlac makes both a 0w30 and 0w-40 and I've seen pails at Napa of different branded hdeo 0w-40s and I'm pretty sure rotella now has a t-6 0w-40,so you do have lots of options as far as hdeo's in a thinner start up grade.

M1 0w-40 is cheap and could be your perfect choice based on availability,cost and admirable performance.

And run half a can of seafoam through a vacuum line prior to every oil change. That should help keep the rings clean.
Good fuel with a pea fuel additive likely can't hurt either.

HDEO's have more detergents with a higher TBN for longer drains. Mobil I extended performance is said to be only Mobil I using any PAO group IV real synthetic at present + has a higher TBN for longer drains. i would try a 10-30 or step UP to a real group IV synthetic as Amsoil signature series is, again a very high TBN for yearly changes, i use 10-30 generally + a filter at 6 months. my 01 TT 225Q 1.8T boosting to 25 lb at times, has been using a qt in a thousand so i switched it to 10-40 Amsoil premium synthetic. the fairly new GTL pennzoil platinum would be another option, a group III petroleum synthetic said to be better

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
HDEO's have more detergents with a higher TBN for longer drains. Mobil I extended performance is said to be only Mobil I using any PAO group IV real synthetic at present

Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 is 70% PAO
Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 is 30% PAO

There is PAO (in varying quantities) in probably all of the Mobil 1 grades, along with AN's, Esters....etc.

Sequoiasoon – nah, that was last march the day after I waxed it. An unusual late snow (forgot to look at the forecast!)

Lubener – that is the usage AFTER I got it under control, not what I am worried about.
wink.gif

Njohnson – my usage is like yours, 20 mile trips usually. My mileage is down to like 14.5 after switching oils. It was like yours previously. Plugs burn clean, compression is ok, everything on vehicle inspected/replaced/tested (ISV, pcv valve, etc.). Fuel pressure tested, etc. It does run quietly w/Delvac 1300 just as yours. I may need to service front axles; gear/transfer boxes and at have been done and fine.

Quest – 06 to 11 2az-fe’s have the same ring problem. Different than the headbolt issue from earlier years. Toyota has a TSB on replacing pistons/rings to cure it. Big lawsuit in progress, too.

Hangfire – thanks, that makes sense and paints the picture/choices clearly to me.

Clevy – Yep, I do run seafoam through a vacuum periodically, and will do the direct soak again if I ever see usage creep up.

So, lots of good advice here that clears my thinking. 0/5w- for protection and up to -40, so perhaps the synthetic diesel options from Mobil or Shell.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
HDEO's have more detergents with a higher TBN for longer drains. Mobil I extended performance is said to be only Mobil I using any PAO group IV real synthetic at present

Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 is 70% PAO
Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 is 30% PAO

There is PAO (in varying quantities) in probably all of the Mobil 1 grades, along with AN's, Esters....etc.

All M1 oils contain PAOs and esters.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mineral_Oil_Question.aspx

Last edited:
HDEO's have more detergents with a higher TBN for longer drains. Mobil I extended performance is said to be only Mobil I using any PAO group IV real synthetic at present + has a higher TBN for longer drains. i would try a 10-30 or step UP to a real group IV synthetic as Amsoil signature series is, again a very high TBN for yearly changes, i use 10-30 generally + a filter at 6 months. my 01 TT 225Q 1.8T boosting to 25 lb at times, has been using a qt in a thousand so i switched it to 10-40 Amsoil premium synthetic. the fairly new GTL pennzoil platinum would be another option, a group III petroleum synthetic said to be better

Sorry, but even Amsoil is a blend of base stocks. Blended base stocks perform better than PAO or ester alone, as we have been told here.

HDEO's have more detergents with a higher TBN for longer drains.

Watch the ACEA specs on the bottles, since an HDEO doesn't automatically have a higher TBN. Some are in the neighborhood of 7.

This is an amazingly good result for a single piston soak. You were lucky the rings were not worn out by then, like it usually is in Saturns, so piston soaks have low success rate.

What oil is specified by honda in this truck?

How do you drive it?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
This is an amazingly good result for a single piston soak. You were lucky the rings were not worn out by then, like it usually is in Saturns, so piston soaks have low success rate.

What oil is specified by honda in this truck?

How do you drive it?

I was pretty surprised. Prior, though, I had a) done 2 or three Seafoam treatments through the injectors over a year/1.5 years, and b) run Delvac 1300 5k or more miles, c) let the solvent soak a LONG time - a week or more. Most Isuzu people who try this say it works for them. I drive it gently. Warmed up, no high revs until coolant temp up, 20 miles mostly trips now and not short trips like before. I think isuzu says 10w-30 in general or other grades OK for various temps.

hpb - yep, same as the jackaroo. Really nice truck with combination of real truck/SUV characteristics, off road capability, towing, and reasonable passenger comfort. Clearly exceeded by newer designs, but a good vehicle for it's time and good used value if you can get a minty one.

Not to threadjack but we have an Oldsmobile with the "shortstar" 3.5L v6 with ring coking oil burning issues. Not sure the basic cause but seems to be well known.

Car sees a lot of short trips but its older and approaching the "beater" phase so I dont want to feed it a lot of high priced synthetic. Car sees cild atarts and short trips so 15w40 HDEO is out in winter- but would the rotella or the delvac hdeo lines offer better oil consumtion reduction? How does T5 do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back