Help me remove a fiber washer stuck to coolant drain plug hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a fiber washer (here: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP7041081 ) instead of the OEM aluminum washer, when screwing in the inverter coolant drain plug in the highlander. I only got a couple of quarts of coolant in the drain pan when I did this a week or so ago, so I wanted to do this again this weekend. This morning, I noticed that even though i started off the drain plug by hand threading it when I screwed it in last time, and it felt natural going in (it was not wobbling at all—didn't feel cross threaded), coming out it did look a bit lopsided.

I looked at the plug, and didn't see the washer, nor was it in the coolant (I checked after pouring it into an empty jug). So I went to the drain plug hole, and sure enough I saw this , which looks to me like the fiber washer has gotten stuck to the drain plug hole.

OK mea culpa for using a non OEM washer. I do have an OEM aluminum washer that will be used when I'm done. But can anyone give me a recommendation for removing it? I read online not to use a steel tool, because that can scratch the aluminum material and cause leaking. Would shooting penetrating oil be good, or a no no?

I'd rather get rid of it before i pour the coolant in, so I don't have to let any new coolant drain out later on.

20190329_091952.jpg

FWIW, I did try prying it off with my thumbnail, didn't work. I tried both around the outside edge, and on the inside.

Also, the picture is upside down.

Last edited:
If I were to go that route, I could use a flathead screwdriver. You aren't worried about scratching the oil pan at all, causing a leak?

Since both of you suggest a pick--why would that be better than a screwdriver? Or should I drive over and get one, if a small screwdriver fails to pry it off?

EDIT: OK i can use a good angle with the pick, that I might not be able to get with a screwdriver.

Last edited:
Came off with my first swipe with pliers (took hold of the inside lip).

The pic does not really show how uneven the washer is. After 50-100 miles, I have to say I'm not impressed with these fiber washers. I also thought it would be more pliable--if I held it with two hands it would bend, but it was much harder than I remember it being when I put it on.

At any rate, all's well that ends well. Lesson learned.

OK looks like I'm going to start a new thread on different types of washers, b/c I always got leaks when I went iwth oem aluminum. I'll see if the oem aluminum washer I use right now on this plug will leak....

20190329_103601.jpg

When it didn't come off at first, my imagination got the best of me and I thought it had bonded with the pan. Oh well.
smile.gif

Thanks a lot. You guys are great here.

Last edited:
I went through a similar situation and ended up using my wife's dental pic set. I since went and purchased a set of pics. How did I live 60 years without them....?

I saw that yesterday, as the aluminum washer I used (OEM) kept the coolant from leaking out the inverter drain plug.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
A correct, new aluminum gasket, properly tightened, will not leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back